• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Police Snipers Prep for Super Bowl

Good read i guess. I watched some of the vid, they were shooting sooooo sloooowww that i just about nodded off.
I am sure they are more than capable though. I hoped they would at least show a couple of targets after the shoots to see groups, but no.
The guy with the .50 in the front center row was interesting....article said he was training for the possibility of a vehicle “intrusion” . :shocked:

good post , thanks Eastwood Eastwood ! :)

It's good they can hit static targets at 200-400 yards away. In a real situation though, the threat is probably going to be on the move. I wonder if they have any targets that could move at the speed of a man's running pace. How would you train these guys cmshoot cmshoot ?
They could hire ex Navy Seals to take those out!!

Good read i guess. I watched some of the vid, they were shooting sooooo sloooowww that i just about nodded off.
I am sure they are more than capable though. I hoped they would at least show a couple of targets after the shoots to see groups, but no.
The guy with the .50 in the front center row was interesting....article said he was training for the possibility of a vehicle “intrusion” . :shocked:

iu

I wonder how the wind behaves in those stadiums. I assume closed top ones are calm but open top might have some odd behavior.

Also shooting at crazy angles like that requires you to dial for the adjusted distance but hold wind and movement for the full distance but I assume they have laser range finders that spit out dope and distance.

I bet it sure would be fun to practice there, I have only ever shot on flat ranges.

It's good they can hit static targets at 200-400 yards away. In a real situation though, the threat is probably going to be on the move. I wonder if they have any targets that could move at the speed of a man's running pace. How would you train these guys cmshoot cmshoot ?

The tiny bit that was actually shown looked like good training. Shooting from an elevated position, having to figure out the angle and get a cosine to adjust your dope with, while shooting from tripods. Practical application.

I’m sure these Snipers have trained on moving targets, and possibly even during this particular training exercise. The video is a few minutes long, and the article states that this is a “multi-day” training event. If I were in charge of it, I would be very specific as to which parts of the training that I would let be filmed for public viewing. This video in no way covered all the training that was conducted.

Also, the targets that were used incorporate a built-in bullet trap. You’re inside the stadium, where any built that doesn’t hit the target, or ricochets off, has a 100% chance of causing damage to something that costs money to fix. I’ve never seen a moving target that incorporated a bullet trap. Someone could make one, but the target with the trap is very heavy. Any moving target engagement that may have been conducted for this training evolution would have been conducted at another location, move than likely.

Again, you only saw the part of the training that they wanted you to see. Look at the distances involved, plus the fact that the target is 2”x2”, and figure out how fast someone is able to shoot with 100% accuracy in those conditions.

I wonder how the wind behaves in those stadiums. I assume closed top ones are calm but open top might have some odd behavior.

Also shooting at crazy angles like that requires you to dial for the adjusted distance but hold wind and movement for the full distance but I assume they have laser range finders that spit out dope and distance.

I bet it sure would be fun to practice there, I have only ever shot on flat ranges.

Wind is almost always squirrelly in urban settings. In an enclosed stadium, not so much.

In order to shoot on a slope (up or down), you must obtain the angle cosine. The easiest way to do it is to have an angle cosine indicator mounted to your rifle that will give you the conversion factor, but there are other ways. Basically, the distance that you dope for will always be less than the actual distance from the Sniper to the target. If you were to move the Sniper straight up or down, until they are on the same 90 degree plane as the target, the distance between the Sniper and the target now is the actual distance that you dope for. So how do we get that distance?

The Sniper aims in at the target and we figure out what angle the rifle barrel is at. Back in the day, we did that with a little homemade protractor with a fishing line and a weight on it. It gave us the angle, then you referred to a chart, and that angle gave you a conversion factor.

The Slope Doper does the same thing, but has the conversion factors included so you don’t need a separate chart. Sit the Slope Doper on the barrel or forearm, and the needle will give you the conversion factor.
DA5F1DAD-78C0-40F4-AA95-36A23576272F.jpeg

The Angle Cosine Indicator is even better. It is a dial indicator that mounts to your scope or scope mount. Aim in, read the dial, it will give you the conversion factor.
896AD800-D771-4C79-899C-7CD80B241A6E.jpeg

The conversion factor is the same whether you are aiming upslope or downslope.

You range a target at 750yds. You check the angle cosine or Slope Doper and find you have a conversion factor of .84.

750yds x .84 = 630

You dial your dope for 630yds. Cake n’ pie!

Like R _Raining said, you adjust for wind and/or target leads for 750yds.

Nowadays, there are laser range finders that will figure out your slope, as well.

Back
Top Bottom