• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

POLL & ADVICE: Need help with ozone generators

Is an ozone generator worth the investment ($250-400) for deer hunting?

• Yes, you’ll harvest more deer with one.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, worth the investment but don’t expect to tag out.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • A total waste of $

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • Tacos!

Votes: 9 39.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just spend more time in the woods.
The wind changes frequently and severaldifferent hunting spots usually makes a difference if one spot is stale.

Cover scents on the ground and pre season scouting makes all the difference in the world.

No way I’d spend the money on that gadget when I could box up my hunting clothes in pine branches and wear a good leafy camo suit, use cover scents and get myself up a nice straight tree in my climber in an area where I’ve scouted very good deer crossings.
The more time spent in the woods, the more deer you will see.

9C8EAE10-F965-46E9-B747-868813D80719.jpeg
42BEDB66-A044-48D5-9AA2-6DB3B9400229.jpeg
h I built my own ozone-producing machine back in high school.
For science class. It's called a Tesla coil.

Just spend more time in the woods.
The wind changes frequently and severaldifferent hunting spots usually makes a difference if one spot is stale.

Cover scents on the ground and pre season scouting makes all the difference in the world.

No way I’d spend the money on that gadget when I could box up my hunting clothes in pine branches and wear a good leafy camo suit, use cover scents and get myself up a nice straight tree in my climber in an area where I’ve scouted very good deer crossings.
The more time spent in the woods, the more deer you will see.
Do you get up & change stands mid hunt or are you saying just move around after each hunt & have multiple stand options.

Do you get up & change stands mid hunt or are you saying just move around after each hunt & have multiple stand options.

Sorry I should gave clarified.
I have several hunting spots with stands On different properties and I also do a lot of hunting with my climber and depending on wind direction I may move my stand or go still hunting if I get bored.
I love to still hunt on rainy and windy days.
Sometimes it’ll take me an hour to walk a quarter mile and I may sit under a fallen tree that still has leaves on the branches for cover and take a concealed rest before moving on,
It’s a great way to scout new territory and also a good way to sneak up on deer.
I walked up on a doe herd and was standing in the middle of a path and they all looked right past me as I had my crosshairs on the big mama doe.
She finally spooked and turned inside out but I could have ran a knife through a yearling as it was that close to me thanks to my leafy camo suit.
I didn’t shoot because it was one of those situations where I relished in the moment of studying their behavior to my presence without killing the alpha.
After mama finally bolted once my crossbow became very heavy from fatigue , she snorted like the world was ending the others kinda ran for a second then stopped and looked at each other like “Why are we running again?”
At that point I moved to show them why and it took a while for them to convince themselves something wasn’t right about me.
If I wasn’t “still” hunting I never would have experienced that.

I’ve also had deer follow me when they heard me walking into the forest, usually deep mountain deer and they’d walk right up to me and my buddy within six feet and Bobb their heads to check us out better before moseying off.
I’ve got soooo many stories but the more time you spend in the woods and discovering new places, the more stories to tell and the more you learn about your prey and how they operate.
I like to walk into the woods right before first light because that seems to be when the deer are the most curious to investigate movement.
Through these experiences I’ve learned that instead of quietly walking to my ladder stand Inwould run like an idiot to make as much noise as possible then scurry up my ladder and wait for the deer to come investigate.
Haha...I’ve shot a few doe this way and had wary bucks sneak around from their hidey holes.
During the rut this is a very effective trick.

I don’t know about running to the stand. I always try to be quiet & make a lot of noise instead. So I decided not to worry too much about it & im not as clumsy.

I have the misfortune to only be able to approach my stands from the N-NE so over the last few years I've been forced to work hard on scent control.

Last year I experimented with a cheap ozone generator, I'd put my clothes in a plastic bag and pump the ozone in for a couple of hours before I'd go hunting. My experience was that the deer were a lot less spooked (I only got blown at once). They would still smell me but they didn't associate the smell with danger. i saw many more deer last year as a result.

As far as I'm concerned it was money well spent. ymmv

https://www.jenesco.com/store.html#!/Scent-Remover-II/p/52076941

I'm not using any kind of cover scent anymore. I shot a doe across a field last year on thanksgiving day. Couldn't see where she went after I shot so I waited about thirty minutes before going to look for her. I stood up. Took a piss and smoked a cigarette. Walked across the field (about 100 yards) then turned around and saw a buck running toward where I had just been sitting on the ground hunting. He was all tore up over the Tinks 69 I had put out about thirty yards to my right. Shot him to. Moral of the story: deer are really stupid when they're horny.

Back
Top Bottom