Powder scale question? Mechanical or Digital or both

testdepth

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
51   0
Reaction score
I have what I would call an antique Ohaus M5 powder scale. I have no idea if it is accurate or not or how to make sure it is. This Ohaus goes from 0 - 500.
My load calls for 5.0 grns and the scale on this is made in steps of 5grns. I know some guys use digital scales or machanical ones or maybe even both.

Anyone else use this scale to measure off 5gns?
How do you verify your loads are accurate?

Thanks for the help

The M5 can measure down to 0.1gr. So a 5.0gr load shouldn't be a problem. Zero the level and then set the weight on the left of the balance point to 5gr and the one on the right to 0gr. You should be good to go. It is very accurate when adjusted properly. Did you get the manual when you bought it? If not, they are available online for free (or I can send you a copy).

I use both. The digital is handy for weighing unknowns, confirming bullet weights and such.

They're more temperamental to their environment though.

The beam scale just works. Once set it's there. Time, heat, electrical interference, etc, mean nothing to it.

You're not required to remember your desired weight either. When the points align, you're on target.

my digital is handy but I don't "trust" it when I first get it out. I use the check weight on the digital before every session. Then when I get my powder dispenser setup to the proper weight on the digital I validate it with the beam. For the rest of the session I use the digital.

If you have a few projectiles laying around, weight a lighter one and see what it says. I check my mechanical scales (RCBS 5-0-5 and a Dillon beam scale) using Hornady match .22 bullets- the 52 grain BTHPs are always very close to 52 grains.

Of course, just because it's right on at 52 grains doesn't mean it's right on at 5 grains. But it does make me feel better to check a few different weight bullets and see that it's weighing them correctly.

I have tried the cheap digital scale but I don't trust it. It would not reset correctly even with new batteries so I gave it to my kids. I was finally able to get the M5 set correctly and I would feel better to have a back up to weigh it on. The M5 came with a 500g weight that says act 260.9gr. I think I lucked out on purchasing it from a guy at the flea market for $20. The only thing missing was paperwork. Appreciate all the help!

JD

Back
Top Bottom