Pressure cooker/canner recommendations

wnchstrtnfldvlle

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
70   0
Reaction score
So I have been thinking about canning. There is some space under my bed that needs filled with jars lol.

I am looking for any recommendations on a good starter brand for a pressure cooker. Not sure what a good price is but probably no more than 200? Possibly a kit?

Ideas?

Bought mine from Wally world 2 years ago. Maybe $70-$80 bucks. Have used it 2 seasons and canned gallons of vegetables, sauces, etc. Liked it so much I bought another this year. Easy to use. Read and follow instructions. Get some good canning books. I can recommend Bell's Blue Book of canning, but there are many others. I have several. Canning is a good skill to have. Best of luck.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Presto-23-Qt-Pressure-Canner/2625289

they usually sell out around Christmas and then start getting them back in in the spring. look for good deals on the jars, bands and lids. I try to pick up spare lids once or twice a month. Just ate come spaghetti sauce I canned in 2012. Tastes like I made it today.

I went up north this summer to visit family.... my cousin's wife (also my cousin now) is a canner.... it brought me back to when I was a kid and helped my grandma can.... she sent us home with canned sauce, salsa, carrots and green beans... my kids could not get enough of them.... they loved them all.... I never had seen my kids fight over vegetables....

I went up north this summer to visit family.... my cousin's wife (also my cousin now) is a canner.... it brought me back to when I was a kid and helped my grandma can.... she sent us home with canned sauce, salsa, carrots and green beans... my kids could not get enough of them.... they loved them all.... I never had seen my kids fight over vegetables....

It is amazing to taste the difference. I have a muscadine vine in the back and made 16 pints of my own jelly this year. Family was fighting over it at Christmas. I am going to try to add black bean salsa this year.

Definitely follow instructions carefully. Those things have been known to blow the lid off and scald heck out of people.

Definitely follow instructions carefully. Those things have been known to blow the lid off and scald heck out of people.

Many years ago I blew the pressure relief plug out being stupid. Scared me enough to leave them alone until 2 years ago when I got back into them. I follow instructions very carefully now lol. ALWAYS wait for the pressure to release on it's own before opening. I usually wait longer than the book says.

Back
Top Bottom