• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Primer life span??

rusty9876

Default rank <2000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
122   0
Reaction score
I ran across some older primers from a friend who reloaded in the 70,s and 80,s. Hertzers was one. I have loaded about 10 rounds and work fine so far in the test. Question is, there is about 7000 of them and wonder if the will last much longer. Don't want to load and store for long taking a chance they go DUH!
Rusty

just watched a video on YT of a guy shooting 40-50 yr old 12ga Shells without a hiccup. So, if Stored properly, they'll probably out live you.

Me too! Early 70's vintage primers with NO FTF's. Have shot almost 1000 and no issues. They were stored in a plastic ammo can in the original boxes in a climate controlled environment and they look and and perform as good as new. Load 'em up and try it!

Last edited:
Reports of ammo 75+ years old still running well. I have some old primers but like said if not stored poorly will last a lifetime or more. Must drive some folks in the government nuts knowing that.

As a kid I shot wax paper 12 gauge shot shells that were 40-50 years old. Worked well on bird and rabbit. Some split at the base and the paper separated from the brass base and could have jammed my gun.

Last edited:
I have shot a bunch of small pistol from the early 90s. They had been stored in the hot and freaking humid attic at my parents place since then. (They are in better storage now.) Some even have small corrosion spots on the metal cup. I have fired several hundred with no troubles at all.

I think it is actually pretty freaking hard to kill a primer.

I bought some early 90s .223 off a guy and the brass still looked new and they have shot perfectly. They were stored in a .50bmg can.

Back
Top Bottom