• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Probably a dumb question...

grandchessboard

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
2   0
Reaction score
I have what will probably be a dumb question. I am new to doing any sort of prepping for a SHTF situation so when I was at wallyworld the other day I was thinking about all that food and which products save the longest without any modification by me, such as vacuum sealing or things of that nature. So, just to make sure that people understand exactly what I am asking, what are some examples of products that I could buy that will save for a really long time completely as is?

Also, years back I was hearing talk about some companies putting expiration dates on their products that are not really accurate. Meaning the product could actually last longer than the date mentioned but instead they put an earlier day because they know many consumers will just throw it away and buy new ones. Never tested this theory by the way. lol Any truth to this?

Take it easy on me, I have a wife and two kids and am just know thinking that it would be wise to be getting prepared.

Dried beans, pasta, mac & cheese, ramen noodles are good shelf stable foods. Canned food of any sort is a good way to start. Try to buy the things that you and your family like to eat and buy a little extra for the pantry. It's better than nothing and a good way to get in the "habit" of prepping.

Expiration dates are kind of suggestions. Foods don't go bad the instant they reach their expiration date. That's my very sleepy 2 cents.

Last edited:
Canned foods are great as long as you are not planning to carry them any further than the trunk to the house. If you have to pack up and leave, canned food burns up a lot of space and weight for a limited return in food.

Just to repeat, canned food is a good choice for the house.

We buy lots of canned foods - mainly vegetables, soups, fruits, beans, some meats, and stuff without too many preservatives or salt. SUrprisingly, Chef Boy R Dee has large cans avail at Walmart and the kids will eat it. Canned goods can be transported easily in a SHTF scenario if you have a trailer that you can tow - they can be stacked out a couple of layers deep on the floor in boxes to distribute the weight. If you gotta get out on foot, canned goods can be stored offsite or you can use alternatives like a four wheeled cart.

Expiration dates - you are right. The canned goods last significantly longer as long as they are stored in a cool dry area. Do a sniff test on anything past it's expiration date. Tell tale signs of spoilage are odor, bubbles in liquid, white or brown colored particles floating around in what's supposed to be clear water. Be very careful with canned dairy products and meat although they most certainly do last beyond the expiration date. I'm more concerned about nutrient loss over time than I am about the food spoiling.

We aggressively rotate our canned goods. So once you get stocked up and take the initial financial hit, it's simply a matter of rotating your stock into your regular food supply. That way, storage actually becomes part of your regular food budget. Works for us as we have 6 people in the family. YOu can build up a pretty deep long term storage pantry in as little as six months by doing a little at a time.

All that said, about 50% of our storage is in light weight, freeze dried foods, and another 10% in MREs, etc. - probably because the kids think they're cool and like to take them out on backyard camping trips.

When buying, try to get your stuff in cases as this makes storage and transport easier. I show up at Walmart at 10 p.m. at night and buy shrink wrapped or closed box cases. Stacks a heckuva lot easier.

Our food storage is now in four categories outsie of our daily use pantry:
1. Boxed/powdered off the shelf with 1-2 year expiration dates - Bisquick, potatoes, juices, etc. (new phase for us)
2. Canned goods with 2-4 year expiration dates
3. Some canned and freeze dried forods with up to 10 year expiration dates - for SHTF stuff
4. Freeze dried and (recently) super pails with 25-30 year expiration dates - for SHTF stuff

We're supplementing with dehydrated foods and just learned how to can vegetables - although buying it canned from Walmart is a LOT more time efficient.

One more note - jsquared here on the ODT turn me onto this - don't forget about water storage and filtration. We have acouple of 55 gallon food grade drums ready to go but we'd like to triple that capacity.

Last edited:
Expiration dates are more for litigation purposes. Everything goes bad eventually, but anything after the expiration date is "use at own risk" But probably good for years if canned properly.

I've got MRE's that say they expire in 1998 and my son is eating them up and they seem to be fine! Not sure I'd want to eat a steady diet of them but they are good in a pinch!

Back
Top Bottom