Problem case pics

Cmax Arms

Default rank <200 posts
Hunter
2   0
Reaction score
I am looking for pic's of cases that may show reloading mistakes (over-pressure etc)and what to look for in screening range brass. As they say " a picture is worth a thousand words"

Thank you Cmax:cool:

best thing you can do is to get a Chronograph and check your velocities against your loading data.

cases and primers don't always tell you the story on pressure.

I am looking for pic's of cases that may show reloading mistakes (over-pressure etc)and what to look for in screening range brass. As they say " a picture is worth a thousand words"

Thank you Cmax:cool:

Hold on and I can get pictures of a box, I deemed the "WTF box" from my range employee days. This will be good.

Primer flattening, firing pin cratering, etc., will not really tell you anything about pressures. As stated above, get the Chrono. Start at the lower end of load data and work up (with the chrono) to a load that produces good accuracy. If that's your goal.

Things to look for on spent cases are split necks (happens for a number of reasons) and case head separations. Case head separations can be exciting, but I'd recommend roller coaster rides for that. Look for bright or dark rings at the case head after firing. If you see a ring scratch the inside of the case near the head and if you feel a "click" or defined recess, toss the case. I pinch the necks of cases showing head separation so that the brass rats at the range can't sell them at the fun show as "once fired".

Take a piece of mild steel, like a coat hanger, bend a .20" L-shaped turn at the end. File that to a nice flat point. That's your "feeler".

Back
Top Bottom