• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I got a problem but I have never run into before and I am baffled. I need help PLEASE!

greg vess

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Elite Idiot
120   1
Reaction score
Well a buddy of mine bought some once fired brass by the thousand piece bag. He also bought a pound of CFE 223 powder and some 55 grain varmint rounds by Speer. So I told him I would load a few of them up and test them to see if the combination of the bullets and the CFE 223 powder would do any good. Well I prepped all the brass as usual and I weighed out 50 charges and went to set the bullets on top of the case to get ready and see them. And then the darndest thing I've ever seen happened. On about 90% of the cartridges the projectiles just fell right down into the neck down inside the case well as far as the powder would let it. So I dumped those cases out and ran into the resizer again and but then if the same thing didn't happen. Somebody tell me what the hell is going on! Please!!!!! 🤔

Well a buddy of mine bought some once fired brass by the thousand piece bag. He also bought a pound of CFE 223 powder and some 55 grain varmint rounds by Speer. So I told him I would load a few of them up and test them to see if the combination of the bullets and the CFE 223 powder would do any good. Well I prepped all the brass as usual and I weighed out 50 charges and went to set the bullets on top of the case to get ready and see them. And then the darndest thing I've ever seen happened. On about 90% of the cartridges the projectiles just fell right down into the neck down inside the case well as far as the powder would let it. So I dumped those cases out and ran into the resizer again and but then if the same thing didn't happen. Somebody tell me what the hell is going on! Please!!!!! 🤔
i had that same problem with some 7mm08 -- I had to clean and readjust the resizer.

i had that same problem with some 7mm08 -- I had to clean and readjust the resizer.
You were correct. I had replaced the Zip spindle and ball expander the last time I used it and forgot all about it. I had it set to far up and it wasn't resizing the neck. I didn't think about changing the zip spindle assembly until you said readjust the die. Good call. Whew! For a minute there I was scratching my head. I had completely forgot to readjust the die depth when I finished replacing the parts because I was at the end of that reloading session. I knew someone could jog my memory. Getting old sucks! 😁 She is right in the money now. Crisis overted.

The reason I asked, is that I got hold of some brass a while back that I had some terrible problems with them not being able to have the neck sized and the primer pockets so "shallow" that the primers could not be properly seated. The bad thing is that I cannot remember what the headstamp was. If you can tell me the headstamp on those I can tell you if it was the same brand.

The reason I asked, is that I got hold of some brass a while back that I had some terrible problems with them not being able to have the neck sized and the primer pockets so "shallow" that the primers could not be properly seated. The bad thing is that I cannot remember what the headstamp was. If you can tell me the headstamp on those I can tell you if it was the same brand.
I will take a look and see what's in there. Some of the ones I saw right off hand were Wolf, IMI ( or something to that affect ) and some other trash I just could not see the ID marks.

Assuming you resized the cases… they have lost their ability to stay sized and the necks have sprung back after sizing. You need to anneal the necks to allow them to be properly sized.
I would have to agree with this assessment, however I find it hard to believe that, after going through "resizing" the case will not hold a bullet.....really....another reason to keep things "local"....cheap is never the best way to go when reloading....

Back
Top Bottom