• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Problems finding load data

Apologies in advance ... NO OFFENSE is meant to anyone ,,, this is ONLY my PERSONAL Observation!

One thing that I have found (and "yes" it may just be me), the ODT isn't a very good source for specific load data.
What I've seen are mostly product endorsements: "I use Unique and like it for my 9mm loadings", "you can depend upon great loads from Varget", Blah, Blah, Blah!
Such "data" that is totally useless (at least to me).

What do I mean by "specific"?

"Specific" to me is data that describes (as a minimum) the Projectile Type / Weight, Powder and Charge Weight,
Some Statement as to Accuracy in a Named Firearm / length of barrel.

"Helpful" would include the source(s) of load and where it sits regarding published data (ie. quoting a published source's minimum and maximum for that loading)
Getting primer used and crimp / trim metrics as well as barrel twist are a nice bits of additional information.

I know that no one wants to ever recommend a load that could possible produce a KABOOM, but none of us has any control over the condition of the firearm that it will be used
or the accuracy or the care with which the load is crafted. The "rules of the road regarding reloading data" IS and MUST ALWAYS be is that any loading data will be used
"at the risk of the user" and that the provider "assumes no responsibility for its use whatsoever"! This goes for loading data from ANY source (Look at the disclaimers made
on any of the powder manufacturer's web sites!)

Personally, I always check loads against published data and rarely deviate from MIN and MAX loadings ...
So, whatever you ever share with me isn't going to be used in any manner or liability other
than has been stated above.

If I give a specific load I always say that it is safe in MY gun.

I have a 125 load that is WAY over max in books for my 300blk rifle but it flat out shoots.

My 75 horny load.....over max.

My 147 plated load....not listed

Loading manuals, not in my shop. I'm self taught, everything has come from the internet, I will scour for loads for hours on end. This guy says 18.2 is good in his gun, the next guy says 18.4 is good and 18.6 is max. So me I'm going to try 17.8, 18, 18.2, 18.4, 18.6, 18.8

The bullet companies loads in there manual's are way more conservative than the powder companies loads,and that came straight from the horse's mouth.I have been told that from both sierra and hornady.In your situation I would compare the two different powders and start from there.

Your logic seems inconsistent with reality.

Every bullet made by one company that is different in weight or shape from one another are no more or less different than similar bullets made by other companies. Data for a Hornady 165 grain bullet is likely a better match for a Sierra 165 than data for a Sierra 168 would be.

One of the biggest factors to consider is how much case volume your bullet will occupy--all other variables remaining the same.
Since all the other variables are never fixed, you have to pick a load that your brain tells you must be a little lighter than you want, and then work your way up. No two guns, brands of brass, or types of bullets are alike. Even the case neck tension imparted by your dies is different than other dies.

You just have to invest the time and money for a new load, every time a change is made. Of course the amount of time and money goes down as experience goes up.

Last edited:
Your logic seems inconsistent with reality.

Every bullet made by one company that is different in weight or shape from one another are no more or less different than similar bullets made by other companies. Data for a Hornady 165 grain bullet is likely a better match for a Sierra 165 than data for a Sierra 168 would be.

One of the biggest factors to consider is how much case volume your bullet will occupy--all other variables remaining the same.
Since all the other variables are never fixed, you have to pick a load that your brain tells you must be a little lighter than you want, and then work your way up. No two guns, brands of brass, or types of bullets are alike. Even the case neck tension imparted by your dies is different than other dies.

You just have to invest the time and money for a new load, every time a change is made. Of course the amount of time and money goes down as experience goes up.

You are correct, I misspoke while multi tasking while responding. To many things on the brain at once. I wasn't reloading at the time though, I have to concentrate on that!

Back
Top Bottom