• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

PSA

No problem,would probably say they'll sell out soon.

Keep posting those finds. "Steals" are subjective, which means some won't think they are a bargain. But there are always some who will. I bought the Savage 111 in .308 recently for just over $400 after rebates and it had a Nikon Prostaff scope on it. But that Axis is a lot cheaper for those who can't scrape together the extra $$$. I forwarded the link to a friend that I know is looking for a deer rifle. Good post, Preacher.

Keep in mind that Savage does make an exceptionally good MOA rifle right-out-of-the-box ...
That said, when buying their cheapest model, the barrel and action may be just a good as the higher
priced offerings (the difference will be "plain-jane" finishes). However, the stock will be "marginal".

On the other hand, their mid-price stuff does (111 / 116) does have a an accu-trigger and a pillar-bedded stock that is "acceptable"
but not as high quality as their accu-stock .... Again, you get what you pay for!

I consider Savage to be an out-of-the-box-ready-to-shoot bargain ... where the typical Rem 700 I consider to be an out-of-the-box-project rifle!
Don't get me wrong, the 700 can be great after hours of the investment time and dollars in accessories ...

"Opinions, Noses and rear-appendages, everybody has one" the foregoing is mine!

Keep in mind that Savage does make an exceptionally good MOA rifle right-out-of-the-box ...
That said, when buying their cheapest model, the barrel and action may be just a good as the higher
priced offerings (the difference will be "plain-jane" finishes). However, the stock will be "marginal".

On the other hand, their mid-price stuff does (111 / 116) does have a an accu-trigger and a pillar-bedded stock that is "acceptable"
but not as high quality as their accu-stock .... Again, you get what you pay for!

I consider Savage to be an out-of-the-box-ready-to-shoot bargain ... where the typical Rem 700 I consider to be an out-of-the-box-project rifle!
Don't get me wrong, the 700 can be great after hours of the investment time and dollars in accessories ...

"Opinions, Noses and rear-appendages, everybody has one" the foregoing is mine!

I agree with you about the Savage 111 stock. The fore end of the stock is not rigid. It flexes in your hand. In fact you can flex it to the point where it actually touches the barrel. I don't think I like that.

I wasn't trying to rip on the ops thread I was just warning my fellow ODTers to buyer be ware of this "deal". You don't have to take my word for it as geaux pointed out they're countless bad reviews for this rifle. I agree savage makes some great rifles but the axis is truly a piece of **** not worth half the asking price. Don't waste your money.

Actually I went back and read reviews on it and am happy I did not buy it after all. And I'm glad I was able to help. Have a great weekend everybody. Been a long day

Don't let anybody tell you how good a rifle is based on them holding one for a minute. Make no mistake, it's a budget gun but in 5 years I've put 6 deer in the freezer with one of those "pieces o $#@!" The low end Savages are great for their intended purpose. Getting someone in the woods with an inexpensive but accurate rifle. You could easily spend twice as much for half the accuracy.Just my .02 and it's probably only worth half that.:)

Don't let anybody tell you how good a rifle is based on them holding one for a minute. Make no mistake, it's a budget gun but in 5 years I've put 6 deer in the freezer with one of those "pieces o $#@!" The low end Savages are great for their intended purpose. Getting someone in the woods with an inexpensive but accurate rifle. You could easily spend twice as much for half the accuracy.Just my .02 and it's probably only worth half that.:)
Agreed! IMHO it's hard to beat the value of the Savage 111 Trophy Hunters(243,270,308,30-06) with the Nikon BDC. Heck, the Mossberg 100 ATR is a solid setup too

I'm a Savageaholic and I wasn't real fond of the one I bought at the same time as Boogerhook. They do work as he said and will get you killing deer just as dead as a $3000 custom on a tight budget. If that's your goal then go for it. They will certainly accomplish that with ease and at their price point a decent scope is also in the budget.
A couple of the deer Boogerhook dropped were well over 200 yards out in a green field. (yeah a chipshot for keyboard commandos but 200+ is a pretty long ways in reality.) He also took a really nice 8 with his Axis last year
I think my prejudice may come from having quite a few "nice" rifles to pick from and maybe I just expected too much out of a cheapie but his deer are just as dead as mine.

Just realize that the triggers are terrible as they come and the $.99 trigger fix is a must on the non accutrigger models, It is the same on the newer non accutrigger XP package 10s/110s though and easy to do. (aftermarket is also available)

The stocks are pretty flimsey and cant be easily just cut down to make them shorter.( aftermarket is now available)

The mag has a plastic tab that holds it in. I haven't personally seen one break but seems cheesy in my opinion (no aftermarket I'm aware of for factory applications but you can get spare mags if it does happen to break)

The finish on mine was some kind of I guess bake on epoxy that when it chipped came off in a large flake. (Ceracote?)

The recoil lug is weird protruding from the stock and fitting into a key way in the barreled action. ((just a strange design to me, but hey it works)

Most all factory Econo rifles are going to have a "Cheese" factor associated with them and you could indeed do much worse than an Axis in the Econo class deer rifles.
They will shoot and are pretty darn accurate (His shot better than mine) and at the price you mentioned a pretty good deer slayer. A lot of guys absolutely love theirs though I do rag em about it, the meat is in the freezer and the antlers are on the wall. If you can afford a little more rifle say a Savage 10/110 series and still afford decent glass then do it) if you cant the Axis with decent glass will get er done but it is in the big picture just an econorifle. (Yes I'd rather hunt with an Axis than most mil sup)

Last edited:
Actually I went back and read reviews on it and am happy I did not buy it after all. And I'm glad I was able to help. Have a great weekend everybody. Been a long day

Just went back and re read the thread. If you like the Ruger American you'll love the Axis.
Easy to talk bad about any of the newer econorifles and find lots of flaws, and I myself have recommended other rigs than the Axis but the Ruger American certainly aint on my list.
Maybe look at a Marlin XL7 or XS7 as a step up.

You know what, me and my brother and sisters are getting the 30.06 for my dad for Christmas. I got a chance to fire one and it seemed to be good for the price. My question would be is the rebate mail in or is it added with purchase

Back
Top Bottom