• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Public Service Announcement for Amateur AR Builders

RdKill

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
97   0
Reaction score
Here's a twist. You know the old Cliche' about "if it's too good to be true..." Well, if you know what you are doing, it really can be a good deal. This makes twice now that I have traded for a complete lower with an upside down hammer spring for a really really good deal. The first time I traded for one, I shot it first before noting the problem. I had about a 50/50 bang-nobang ratio. I did some switching of upper to another lower and quickly narrowed it down to the lower. So I started stripping the lower but only had to pull the hammer because I quickly realized the hammer spring was on backwards. Not going to name names but this particular ODTer seemed a little uneasy when I asked questions about function. Anyway, no big deal. I turned the spring around and bang bang bang every time thereafter.

This latest upside down hammer spring lower I traded for, I saw it and corrected it before I ever shot it. I have a suspicion that why I got such a great deal on this particular lower was because someone dumped it because of poor performance. But I do NOT believe that the member I got it from was aware and was likely just passing on a good deal having probably never fired it. I've quit caring about function on ARs. I just strip them down completely when I trade for them now and reassemble replacing or correcting anything as I do so. Everything on an AR can be replaced fairly cheap these days.

So here's the public service announcement part. Note the correct orientation of the hammer spring in this photo. If you are having light strikes with nonfired rounds but usually a dented primer, CHECK THIS FIRST! See how he spring loops UNDER and the arms lie flat? If your spring arms are looped over and angle down, then your spring is on backwards. You might want to consider flipping that around before dumping the lower on the cheap.

:pound: Are you telling me I traded you that lower too cheap? I could got more outta you? Dangit! :becky:

Oh, you are right though, I never even looked at the lower. I traded into the complete gun 2 days prior because I wanted the upper for another project. No need for the lower so I swapped it for something else I needed for that same project. :thumb:

I don't remember what I paid for the scope new but I'm guessing somewhere around 250...plus the 100 bucks I kicked in, I figure my investment is 350 for the complete pistol lower. As you well know, the DRD billet stripped lower sells for 300. Add whatever for the LPK, BAD lever, anti walk pins, pistol buffer assembly, Magpul grip (2 grips since you threw in an extra cause I whined about the stippling lol), ambi-safety levers...and of course the fancy color fill artwork on the skull...So yeah...I'm pretty happy with the trade even with the backwards hammer spring. I guess the depreciation is appropriate for the used market but by ODT standards I probably should have paid more for used than new prices lol.

I wasn't going to call you out by name because I truly believe you were unaware of the issue and traded for reasons other than dumping it because it wouldn't work. I even left your feedback AFTER I found the problem.

I wasn't going to call you out by name because I truly believe you were unaware of the issue and traded for reasons other than dumping it because it wouldn't work. I even left your feedback AFTER I found the problem.

Oh, I wasn't worried about that. I knew that you knew that I didn't know about the backwards spring and I also knew that you knew how to easily fix it. I also knew that you knew that if you were actually upset about it I would trade you back to make it right. Know what I'm saying? You know?

Back
Top Bottom