• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Qualification

wildmantaz

Default rank <3000 posts
ODT Junkie!
99   0
Reaction score
Can anyone give me the course of for handgun qualification. I seem to remember it was fired at 3, 7, 10, 15, and 25 yards.
How many rounds per each yardage mark?

I had to qualify for my permit when I lived in Tennessee back in 1995.

I would like to see if I can do as well as I did back then.

Thanks for any info.

Do you still live in TN? You don't need to show any firearms proficiency for a carry permit in GA. Pay the fees and you're in.

Standard qualification course (sqc)

ammunition: 30 rounds
target: Georgia sqt or sqt-a1 (2 each)
maximum raw score: 300 points
minimum qualification: 240 points - 80 %
(divide raw score by 3 to obtain percentage)

stage i: 25 yard line

from the 25 yard line &#8211; load each magazine with 6 rounds and reload when necessary.

Using the angular search technique (geometric progression), on command to “search” the shooter will assume a covered shooting position to the right of cover with weapon pointed at the right target. The student will avoid contact with the cover object.

On the command to fire, the shooter will fire 1 round in 4 seconds right target and return to cover.

Using the angular search technique (geometric progression), on command to “search” the shooter will assume a covered shooting position to the right of cover with weapon pointed at the left target. The student will avoid contact with the cover object.

On the command to fire, the shooter will fire 1 round in 4 seconds left target and return to cover.

Decock and holster

using the angular search technique (geometric progression), on command to “search” the shooter will assume a covered shooting position to the left of cover with weapon pointed at the left target. The student will avoid contact with the cover object.

On the command to fire, the shooter will fire 1 round in 4 seconds left target and return to cover.

Using the angular search technique (geometric progression), on command to “search” the shooter will assume a covered shooting position to the left of cover with weapon pointed at the right target. The student will avoid contact with the cover object.

On the command to fire, the shooter will fire 1 round in 4 seconds right target and return to cover.

Decock and holster

stage ii: 15 yard line

from the 15 yard line, shooter stands facing his targets with weapon holstered and secured in the holster.

On the command to fire, shooter draws his weapon, moves to cover and fires 4 rounds in 12 seconds in the following manner:

1 round in the right target
1 round in the left target

drop to a kneeling postion while reloading

decock and holster a loaded weapon

stage iii: 7 yard line

on the command, shooter draws his an fires 4 rounds in 5 seconds in the following manner:

2 rounds in the right target
2 rounds in the left target

reload and holster (reload 2 magazines with 6 rounds each)

standing in front of the right target, on command, shooter draws and fires the following in 6 seconds:

move one step left

decock and holster

standing in front of the left target, on command, shooter draws and fires the following in 12 seconds:

move one step right while reloading

decock and holster

on the command, shooter (from a cover ready position) fires a failure drill in the following manner in 3 seconds:

1 round in the right target (head shot)
1 round in the left target (head shot)

decock and holster

stage iv: 3 yard line

on the command to fire, shooter draws while taking one step back and giving verbal commands and fires the following in 3 seconds:

reload and holster

on the command to fire, shooter draws while taking one step back and giving verbal commands and fires the following in 5 seconds:

come to a transition ready position, evaluating the targets.

On the command to fire, shooter will fire the following in 2 seconds:

scoring: Sqt / sqt-a1 will be scored as follows: All hits within center mass scoring lines (“a” zone) to include head will receive a 10 point value. Hits within body torso and head but outside “a” zone will receive an 8 point value.

Spend a few minutes at the range with me if you want proof there is no proficiency requirement for a GWL. If the bad guy is more than 10 feet away I'm running - either away or too him. And while my shooting skills are sad, at least I'm spared from ever having to say "Back in the day I could......"

I knew no qualification needed for GA Permit, I have had one since moving to GA in 1999.

I just wanted to add it to my shooting time. To make things more interesting. I do steel and bulleye now.

In 1995 in TN you had to shoot 50 rounds on man size NRA target and score 70 or better to get the permit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom