question about 9mm loads

insulinboy

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
36   0
Reaction score
I'd like to get into reloading, it seems like something I would enjoy doing, and I think it would help my shooting some. I've had .45's, 9mm's, .32's, .22's, and .380's And I'm consistently a better shot with .380 than I am with anything else.

I know its not this simple, but .380 and 9mm are the same size diameter bullet, with the .380 having less of a powder charge behind it (like I said I know there is more to it than that, case pressures, bullet weights, ect) So my question is, would it be safe to load 9mm with a smaller .380 like powder charge behind it to see if it would improve my shooting with the cheaper to shoot 9mm, or if I'm reloading anyway is it about the same cost to shoot 9mm as it is .380.

As much as I like to shoot It would be easy for me to go through 2 or 3 boxes of ammo at the range and its just not economical to do it with $20 a box rounds when the 9mm off the shelf is $10

Obviously the stuff I buy off the shelf wouldn't have the lighter charge behind it, but it was just a curiosity of mine

Yes, you can load 9mm light.
Yes, the 380 will cost about the same to reload as the 9.

In most cases, it won't be worth loading the 380, if you are setup for 9.

The trick will be setting the 9mm gun up for the light loads. Generally, all of the springs will need to be lighter.

Last edited:
You have to have enough recoil to cycle the pistol. I like going with a heavier bullet and a reduced charge. Try a 135 or 147 gr and use the starting load and work up or down to figure if your gun will cycle. You can go with a reduced strength recoil spring if necessary. You need to get a good reloading book before you start.
Good luck!

Too me the .380 kicks more than it should. I think its due to the blow back operation rather than the Browning barrel tilt method of operation.

Kick/recoil is primarily inherently due to several factors. The most significant are the weight of the projectile, the velocity of the projectile, the mass of the weapon firing it.

Other factors as I alluded to also factor in such as mechanical action. A bit of energy is bled off by a semi-auto when compared to a revolver or single shooter. The frame if polymer flexes and absorbs some energy reducing recoil. However that is often offset by the lighter weight which increases recoil forces.

The grips if rubber-primarily on the back strap will absorb recoil forces. The layout design of the grip and bore axis play their part as well.

Get a 9mm that has a steel frame and reduce your loads to 124 grain sub-sonic and you won't have to change springs but still reap the benefit of lower recoil and less wear and tear on both the gun and you.

If you shoot a .380 best, try a target (all steel) .22LR pistol (Ruger Mark I, II or II, Browning Buck mark etc.). Most of the folks I train, I start them off on a .22 LR to get the basics of marksmanship down. Later move up to .38 SPL target loads in a .357 frame revolver leaving 2-3 rounds out to ferret out the dreaded flinch, then move up to 9mm subs in a full size pistol.

Ed's Pawn here in Stockbridge had some police trade in S&W 5906's all stainless, full size, 9mm pistols for $250 (one mag.). Reduced-subsonic 124 grain cast at around 900 FPS are a really nice load out of this gun.

Of course you can create a 9mm 100 grain 900 FPS loading, attempting to duplicate a .380 loading but as mentioned you will have to get a reduced weight recoil spring to allow the slide to come back fully and charge the weapon or you will have a single shot pistol. And that asks the question why?

Be cautious of extremely light loads that hardly fill the case. The powder can shift and create a detonation, blowing the gun up.

Shooting reduced loads is a great way to reduce recoil and work on accuracy. Reloading gives one a lot of flexibility, reduces shooting cost and more so if you get cheap bullets (lead cast).

Last edited:
I load 147 grain lead and 3 grains of Unique for competitive shooting.
Best I recall it was about 850 to 900 fps.
Two Beretta PX 4's full size and sub-compact and 2 Glocks a 17 & 34 all 4 cycle without fail with this load and it's pretty light.
Always keep the lead under 1000fps.

It'll cost you about $6 a box of 50 if you load them yourself.

Back
Top Bottom