• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Question on pistol brace modification

Is this legal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thats a good perspective to have. Whats the actual chance someone would ding me for it at the range?

Still, Id like to have peace of mind. I emailed them
I work at a Range. Zero. But some ranges think they’re federal agents and like to demand tax stamps, and permits and everything else from a customer. The good ranges know it’s not their job to inspect YOUR firearm nor is it their job to verify YOUR NFA items.

You would be shocked at the amount of people cruising the streets with unregistered SBRs due to simple ignorance. Something to the tune of at least seeing 2 a week. I know this because I ask (out of genuine curiosity) how long did it take for your stamp to clear since I’m always keeping track for my own stamps and the response is usually “what stamp?” Or “what’s a stamp” if they ask I inform and a lot have been riding with it for months.

also to everyone who has NFA items, anyone ever been asked to show papers from a federal agent?

I usually ride around daily with an SBR in the open in my vehicle and more times then not have a suppressor. as do all of my co-workers and most of my friends, this includes machine guns as well. I’m not exaggerating and literally NONE have ever had a stamp checked in at least the past 4 years that’s as long as I’ve known most of these guys. They sure as **** haven’t been questioned about a non-NFA pistol lol

I’m not advocating breaking the law at all. The law is the law (judge dread voice) but I’m not sure if this is considered illegal anyways. Don’t think the choppers are hovering overhead with FLIR watching you stretch out vinyl tape. If you write and ask the BATFE don’t be surprised if you get a “don’t do it” General answer from one person then a “it’s fine” from another. They’re just opinions, not rulings.

I’m genuinely interested (not sarcastically) to hear of any personal stories of anyone being asked by someone who can enforce a federal law to show proof of compliance, tax stamp, or having a non-NFA item inspected? Hell even an NFA item inspected? I’ve never heard or seen of it in the industry and some of my boys ride with transferables in the passenger seat.

Everyone has opinions, but the law seems to say you cannot modify the brace to make it more comfortable. Nothing that makes it more like a "stock".

It does not say that it cannot be adjusted, in fact, isn't one of the rules saying that it can't be permanently fixed? Which is why the KAK comes with a set screw, so that it can be adjusted and not be "permanent". Loosen the screw and remove it.

I also thought that I read that the max length of pull is 13.5" So if that is the max, then it stands to reason that it can be anything shorter than that.

Now, if they had says that it must BE a certain length, that would be one thing. That would imply that it cannot be changed or adjusted. But they said max.

I have the KAK blade, and set it for 13.25" length of pull. Makes it usable, but gives me a little buffer so that if someone measured it, there is no way it will exceed the stated max length...

Everyone has opinions, but the law seems to say you cannot modify the brace to make it more comfortable. Nothing that makes it more like a "stock".

It does not say that it cannot be adjusted, in fact, isn't one of the rules saying that it can't be permanently fixed? Which is why the KAK comes with a set screw, so that it can be adjusted and not be "permanent". Loosen the screw and remove it.

I also thought that I read that the max length of pull is 13.5" So if that is the max, then it stands to reason that it can be anything shorter than that.

Now, if they had says that it must BE a certain length, that would be one thing. That would imply that it cannot be changed or adjusted. But they said max.

I have the KAK blade, and set it for 13.25" length of pull. Makes it usable, but gives me a little buffer so that if someone measured it, there is no way it will exceed the stated max length...

Just measured the tape, and it would change LOP from ~11" to 12 inches. The brace is still adjustable, too.

I’m genuinely interested (not sarcastically) to hear of any personal stories of anyone being asked by someone who can enforce a federal law to show proof of compliance, tax stamp, or having a non-NFA item inspected? Hell even an NFA item inspected? I’ve never heard or seen of it in the industry and some of my boys ride with transferables in the passenger seat.

I honestly don't think they have the time or man power to go around checking stamps. The Only time I can realistically see anyone scrutinized over one of these items is if it was used in a crime and they are looking for every charge they can to throw at you.

I honestly don't think they have the time or man power to go around checking stamps. The Only time I can realistically see anyone scrutinized over one of these items is if it was used in a crime and they are looking for every charge they can to throw at you.

I agree completely

Back
Top Bottom