Questions regardin licenses for my kids and me

Buck119

Default rank <4500 posts
Beretta Aficionado
220   0
Reaction score
Hello.

In a couple of weeks I will be near Blairsville for a long weekend. I have promised my two kids to take them "hunting" for the first time. This is going to be more a fun thing that a real thing. They are 5 and 8 only and they will not use anything else than their pellet rifles. We may do it on the property we are going to stay but I am sure we will want to do it in the woods nearby as well and I assume that to do that we will need a license regardless of the kind of guns we use.

The first question is related to my kids. I understand that they do not need to complete the hunter education course and that they need to be supervised by a licensed adult, but do they need a license? The GA website is not 100% clear, not to me at least.

Hunters Under Age 12Hunters under age 12 are not required to complete a hunter education course.
However, no one under age 12 may hunt unless under direct supervision, i.e.
within sight or hearing of licensed adult (at least 18 years old) hunter. It is
unlawful for an adult to permit their child or ward under age 12 to hunt
unsupervised. Special restrictions apply to Wildlife Management Areas (WMA's) & National Wildlife Refuges (NWR's).
http://www.georgiawildlife.com/Hunting/Requirements

The next question is related to the supposedly licensed adult (me).
From the same page:

However, a hunter education course is not required to purchase an Apprentice
License or a three (3) day Combo Hunting/Fishing License.

From what I read it looks like I don't need to attend the education course to get one of these two licenses, which will be Ok since we will do it during a weekend only. Does anybody know the difference between these two licenses? I could not find any clear information about these either (https://www.ga.wildlifelicense.com/selection.php)

Last edited:
Your kids do not need any license. If they are hunting deer they will need some tags (free) You may get some anyway cause it's cool! Last I talked to the DNR they told me they did not sell the 3 day anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

I know the 3 day included the wma as well.

As suggested I called the DNR. I'm posting in case anybody is interested in the subject (i doubt it :)).
The kids do not need the license, but they have to be with me and I need a license even if I am not hunting.
The Apprentice license and the Three day license do not have "substantial" differences. Both would work for the purpose.

calling does not really get you anywhere. I called about bringing my wife and kids dove hunting and they gave me wrong info. That was the law enforcement div.
my question was also about the 3 day or app. license. your best bet would be to find out the game warden in the area that you are hunting and call him direct. that way you can say "you said!"
Because the dnr and warden had different views on the subject, and guess which one really counts.

calling does not really get you anywhere. I called about bringing my wife and kids dove hunting and they gave me wrong info. That was the law enforcement div.
my question was also about the 3 day or app. license. your best bet would be to find out the game warden in the area that you are hunting and call him direct. that way you can say "you said!"
Because the dnr and warden had different views on the subject, and guess which one really counts.
I agree with semi-pro on this one.

Back
Top Bottom