Questions to ask before joining a club... add yours

GeauxLSU

Default rank 5000+ posts
Corn Pop
Staff member
Super Moderator
63   0
Reaction score
Where the stars at night are big and bright.
I've been asked over the years (as I'm sure we all have) by folks looking for their first club and/or just getting into hunting what types of things to consider. It's much better to have a conversation as it's very broad reaching but I thought I'd list a few and others can add as they see fit and perhaps it'll help somebody out. The question or clarification you do NOT ask is the one that invariably will rub you wrong when you find out the answer. A club of any size most likely has printed rules but they may not mean what you think they mean or they may not have any at all. In either case.... and again this is aimed at new hunters/club members...

1. How man 'guns' does each membership allow? Often people just ask how many members are in the club (which would be a logical question to ask). The president says '10' (for example). Then opening day those 10 members are there with their wives and kids and double step cousin and suddenly you have multiples of 10 in the woods and there is hunter orange in every tree. If you want a 'family club' that's great but regardless find out EXACTLY what a membership means.
  2. How many HUNTABLE acres are there? Again it seems like that would be a simple and clear answer but not always. A club might have 1,000 acres but if 500 of it is 3 year old planted pines, and the front 250 by the road is cow pasture well.... suddenly your acres per hunter might not be anywhere near what you thought you were getting.
  3. Are work days required? How many and what are my options if I can't make the scheduled day(s)? Many clubs require their membership to work clearing roads, planting food plots, hanging/moving stands, cleaning up camp, getting firewood, whatever. Some will allow you to do it on your own schedule others require it on certain days. Some will allow you to pay additional funds if you can't make it or simply don't want to do the work.
  4. Why do you have open slots? Make sure you believe you are getting an honest answer here. Every club has turnover. But if the club has the same handful of guys and there are a few slots that turn over every year... there's probably a reason for that. Reasons could be the previous member got kicked out, he moved, bought his own place, simply found something he liked better, or something a bit more unsettling. But it could be anything. ASK IF YOU CAN CALL THE PREVIOUS MEMBER(S).... If denied.... red flag.
  5. Besides annual dues is any other money ever owed? Some clubs have variable payments during the year to pay for food plots, utilities (if they have any), etc...
  6. What hunting is included? Some clubs are deer only. Some are all game but only deer during deer season. You may or may not want a small game hunter walking the woods while you are deer hunting. Some clubs are everything but turkey and/or waterfowl or they may charge extra for those. Any possible number of combinations.
  7. What access will I have to the property? Some clubs are only open to members during hunting season. Others could be 24/7/365 and members may use it during the summer to camp, ride 4 wheelers, target practice whatever.
  8. Is alcohol allowed and if so what if any 'rules' pertain to it? Some don't allow any, some try and allow "after hunting" drinking. While that sounds good, unfortunately that may mean getting hammered (and loud) until 3 a.m. around the fire and then stumbling to your stand 3 hours later.
  9. Do you use a 'pin in/map' system? Many clubs have a map of the land and you place a pin where you will be hunting before you go into the woods. That helps others know not to disturb your area and also where to go looking for you if you don't come back
  10. What rules beyond state regulations do you have for deer? Many clubs further restrict the state laws (which are generally 2 bucks and 10 does) with a lower number and or minimum rack/age requirements for bucks. Some are easy enough "x number of points on one side or total" some are more difficult especially for a new hunter "x inches of inside or outside spread" or even more difficult "over 'x' years old." Some may require you to mount any buck you shoot or pay a 'fine' to the club.
  11. What happened to the last person that was caught violating the rules? If they can't answer that question, assume they really don't have any rules despite what they claim.
  12. What happened to the last person that was caught violating the law? If they can't answer that question, assume they are simply poachers who 'bend' the laws to suit their own personal desires.
  13. How are hunting areas assigned or are they? Again, infinite possibilities here from, no area assigned/first come first served, to... "each member gets x number of stands and that is their 'area'. No one may hunt within x hundred yards of their stands." This can be a problem for new members as the only area left can often be the wasteland. Are areas re-assigned every year? Is it a lottery? Or does one guy 'own' the best area/s indefinitely?
  14. When is 'scouting' allowed? Some hunters spend very little time at the club and decide that 10:00 am opening morning is great time to go scout the club, often on 4 wheelers, since they haven't seen the woods since they joined or the work day 3 months prior. Many have rules that restrict any movement in the woods during the season outside of going to/from stands and retrieving deer.
  15. What are guest rules? Some don't allow any guests. Some allow guests but if they kill something it goes against the members total for the year. Some treat guests as 'free' members and let them do whatever they want. Some charge for guest days and some limit the number of guest days. Again, infinite possibilities.
  16. How long has the club been in existence and can you see harvest records? Some will have them and some won't.
  17. Is target practice/rife sight in allowed? If so when.
  18. Who owns the property? The property is generally either owned by a timber company or a private owner. They both have pluses and minuses but in general a private owner is more 'stable' and you're not likely to have a cutting crews out there opening week or have the land sold and your lease terminated mid-season.
  19. What happens if the president doesn't enforce the rules? Can I leave and get a pro-rated refund of my dues? I bet nobody asks that question. I haven't. Something to consider though and something I wish I would have asked once.
  20. Do the total of the dues collected equal the total of the lease to the landowner? I don't know why this is a BIG deal for some people but it is. Some people get very bent if they suspect or find out the president is collecting more than the total due the landowner or is collecting enough so that he hunts for "free". I've never been president and don't want to but I personally could not care less (unless they misrepresent it). I decide if the money is worth it to ME, then I pay it and forget about it. But again, just listing because it's important for some.
  21. Do you put out 'feed/corn' and if so when? In the northern zone it is illegal to hunt within 200 yards (or line of sight) of placed feed. People don't realize, each feed station takes out a full 26 acres (or more depending on line of sight) of legally huntable land.
  22. What do you know about the neighbors? Just like in a neighborhood, in a hunting club, the neighbors can make ALL the difference. Unless you've got 10,000 acres it's very difficult to 'manage' property in Georgia. A "co-op" is an agreement with surrounding neighbors to uniformly attempt to follow the same harvest guidelines. Of course at the opposite end, trespassing poaching neighbors are a nightmare.
  23. Do you keep harvest logs and can I see them? Every club has "Tons of nice deer". It would obviously be nice if you get some type of objective acknowledgement of that. A club that is truly managing their property would love to 'show off' their harvest logs to prospective members.
Anyway, those are off the cuff. So what ya' got?

Last edited:
Excellent post! Now if I could just find a club near Banks Crossing I'd be set LOL.

Only thing I can think of is:
-How many built stands are there and are member's allowed to use them? One club I hunted had two dozen ladder stands that only the president and couple of his buddies were allowed to hunt. Those were in the most productive spots.
-Do you use feeders and how many food plots (if any) are there? It's a nice benefit when part of your dues go to plant food plots or keep feeders full in the off season.

Excellent post! Now if I could just find a club near Banks Crossing I'd be set LOL.

Only thing I can think of is:
-How many built stands are there and are member's allowed to use them? One club I hunted had two dozen ladder stands that only the president and couple of his buddies were allowed to hunt. Those were in the most productive spots.
-Do you use feeders and how many food plots (if any) are there? It's a nice benefit when part of your dues go to plant food plots or keep feeders full in the off season.
Good points. Your feeder comment reminded me of a related one, I added #21.
If you find a club near Banks Crossing let me know. It's where my hunting cabin is and I get tired sometimes of looking at the same trees. ;)

We had a one page set of rules at my old hunting club that covered most of the topics above and I thought that it was sufficient. Then a guy here at work mentioned that his club has a set of by-laws and he proceeded to pull out a manual about 1 inch thick. I laughed in his face.

After I read through the by-laws, I realized he has a very well run club and there is no ambiguity with respect to the rules. They were all clear cut and concise. All members are treated equally and fairly and after a member's one year probation period the new member has equal footing with the rest. I can see why his club has little turnover even though the membership dues are close to $1,500 per year.

I will see if I can look at his by-laws again for any items not included above. I know they maintained and published each member's contact info and had pretty cool detailed maps in color of the property.

We had a one page set of rules at my old hunting club that covered most of the topics above and I thought that it was sufficient. Then a guy here at work mentioned that his club has a set of by-laws and he proceeded to pull out a manual about 1 inch thick. I laughed in his face.

After I read through the by-laws, I realized he has a very well run club and there is no ambiguity with respect to the rules. They were all clear cut and concise. All members are treated equally and fairly and after a member's one year probation period the new member has equal footing with the rest. I can see why his club has little turnover even though the membership dues are close to $1,500 per year.

I will see if I can look at his by-laws again for any items not included above. I know they maintained and published each member's contact info and had pretty cool detailed maps in color of the property.
Yep. The larger the club the better it is to have things REALLY spelled out. We'd all like to think "We're all adults we'll work out any issues." That's a recipe for disaster.
I've been in around half a dozen clubs and eventually gave up and bought my own little place for a variety of reasons but the drama with most clubs was certainly one.

Yep. The larger the club the better it is to have things REALLY spelled out. We'd all like to think "We're all adults we'll work out any issues." That's a recipe for disaster.
I've been in around half a dozen clubs and eventually gave up and bought my own little place for a variety of reasons but the drama with most clubs was certainly one.

Same here. If purchasing your own property is not an option find some friends and like minded hunters and start your own lease. I would prefer to spend $2k per year for a no drama, very few members club with decent hunting than $1k per year for 3000 acres and 75 members. The more members and larger the club, the more drama, cliques, violations and problems you will see. I have seen it all first hand.

Yep. I wasn't happy with what my old club was becoming. I was in that club for a solid 15 years and I had had enough. We had a really high turnover rate and we got some really bad members in there right before I left. Thank goodness I wasn't down there when it happened but we had a couple of members who threatened each other and came really close to getting into a fist fight one night. Yes, alcohol was involved. After that incident I threw my club keys on the picnic table and left. I bought my own place three months after that incident and now I can make my own club rules lol

One other thought and not to get off the original topic but...... Two of the guys I was in my old club with found about 150 acres to lease from Plum Creek the year after we left. The membership consists of those two guys and one of the guy's son-in-laws. That's it. If you can find a small tight knit club or better yet form one with your buddies that seems to be the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom