• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Raising pigs.

Dchance

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
43   0
Reaction score
Good afternoon all. I have read in other post that some of you guys raise pigs as well. I have been currently been raising 3 here on the homestead and my first to raise. Two are males and the other a female and of course you know what happened. We were unsure of when it actually happened but a good time frame. Well got up and going today to find out she was in labor. If anyone can help with some advice it would be appreciated. Around 9 this morning she had had 4 maybe 5 but seems she is still going. She has always been a little skittish so getting up close and petting has never happened. I just want to make sure she isn't having problems or complications without hurting the piglets and herself. I was able to block off the majority of the wind from blowing on her not sure if she really cares about that at the moment. If anyone has any input or advice please feel free to reply of send a PM. Thanks in advance for any help.

I would think keeping the boars away would be top priority they will kill the pigs.
They have actually been laying in the same spot all day just recently got up walked around for about an hour and laid back in that same spot. Luckily enough they are in separate areas of the lot that will be easy to close off tonight just to keep such from happening.

Good afternoon all. I have read in other post that some of you guys raise pigs as well. I have been currently been raising 3 here on the homestead and my first to raise. Two are males and the other a female and of course you know what happened. We were unsure of when it actually happened but a good time frame. Well got up and going today to find out she was in labor. If anyone can help with some advice it would be appreciated. Around 9 this morning she had had 4 maybe 5 but seems she is still going. She has always been a little skittish so getting up close and petting has never happened. I just want to make sure she isn't having problems or complications without hurting the piglets and herself. I was able to block off the majority of the wind from blowing on her not sure if she really cares about that at the moment. If anyone has any input or advice please feel free to reply of send a PM. Thanks in advance for any help.
Can we get an update.

Hopefully you clipped the piglets teeth as soon as they were born. If you didn’t, you probably figured out by now how much damage they can do to each other and your sow. Farm learning ain’t forgiving.

Hey guys thanks for your intreste on how things are going! She had 4 total and unfortunately they all passed😔😭😔. She herself wasn't quite a year old and I was off on her due date by about a week and a half. But we also had that really bad drop in Temperature that same week, so not sure if that caused any problems or issues. I was getting things prepared to move her somewhere else when I noticed that she was in labor and would not let me anywhere near her until she was done with labor. That's when I was able to get close enough to check things out. Two had already passed at that time and two were okay so I let them be. They wound up passing the next day😫. My thoughts are that she was trying her best to keep them all warm during those 20 degree days and wound up laying on them because of how they were positioned in the little shelter.
But on a positive note I believe she is pregnant again and I know an exact week if not day they should be born and have been in the works of making an additional lot so that I can put her in one with better facilities for her during the next delivery. And thankfully they should be born middle of June so no chance of freezing cold temperatures.
I just got to find a way to keep them in the lot. Just got back in about 30 minutes ago from getting them back from the neighbors yard and yeah she wasn't happy, again 😂. So I guess I got a few areas to address tomorrow. I will take some photos of them in the new lot and upload tomorrow.
And once again guys thanks for your intreste in how things were going.

Here you go guys as promised. The new lot is 55'×35' and they have really enjoyed being in it and all the green grass. I sure everyone can figure out who momma is 😂.
Now its time to start reworking the old lot and reseeding it.

Attachments

• 20230328_173641.jpg
    20230328_173641.jpg
    410.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 20230328_173519.jpg
    20230328_173519.jpg
    335.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 20230328_173514.jpg
    20230328_173514.jpg
    363.1 KB · Views: 18
3 months, 3 weeks and 3 days is there gestation period. And yes she probably did lay on them. The sows will often eat their own piglets some times. Like most female mammals the mother will lick the afterbirth from the newborns. This helps dry and stimulate them to nurse. This is when a sow will develop a taste for her own young. have a few sows that my daughters raise their show pigs from. We put them in a farrowing crate the week of their due date. They don’t move around much for a week to 10 days before birth and it makes them easy to check on. Once she delivers the piglets they can move around the enclosure without having the sow lay on them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3 months, 3 weeks and 3 days is there gestation period. And yes she probably did lay on them. The sows will often eat their own piglets some times. Like most female mammals the mother will lick the afterbirth from the newborns. This helps dry and stimulate them to nurse. This is when a sow will develop a taste for her own young. have a few sows that my daughters raise their show pigs from. We put them in a farrowing crate the week of their due date. They don’t move around much for a week to 10 days before birth and it makes them easy to check on. Once she delivers the piglets they can move around the enclosure without having the sow lay on them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That's part reason for building the new lot for them. If I have it calculated correctly they should be due around June 17th give or take a day. And I hope to have the old lot reworked and some areas fixed, as this will be where I put her for the birthing process.
If I could get a break between the rain and work I would be farther along than what I am. But I can't complain to much because it is all coming together just not as fast as I would like.

Back
Top Bottom