• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

RDS and 3x magnifier or 1-6x illuminated LVPO

Radar363

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
13   0
Reaction score
So I posted a thread about a sale Palmetto State has on the Sig Romeo and Juliet combo but I recently got an email for a 1-6x scope on sale.
On an all-purpose entry level AR which is the better option?
Personally, I'm leaning towards the LVPO with a throw lever which I think would be easier for me to use than a flip up/down magnifier with the red dot.
I have a couple of 1-4 power scopes, one illuminated, one not, and an Aimpoint PRO. I like the idea of the extra 2x magnification but am I really going to notice it?

So I posted a thread about a sale Palmetto State has on the Sig Romeo and Juliet combo but I recently got an email for a 1-6x scope on sale.
On an all-purpose entry level AR which is the better option?
Personally, I'm leaning towards the LVPO with a throw lever which I think would be easier for me to use than a flip up/down magnifier with the red dot.
I have a couple of 1-4 power scopes, one illuminated, one not, and an Aimpoint PRO. I like the idea of the extra 2x magnification but am I really going to notice it?
I have the holosun 3x titanium short magnifier. I haven't looked through the Juliet but several friends said the holosun has better eye relief and is clearer. Also cost more though. I do like the magnifier over a 1-4 power scope because I either use max magnification or 1x. I also just target practice and don't do anything duty related with my optics.

I have both on multiple guns. For me the RDS/magnifier is faster than the scope and fine out to several hundred yards. The magnifier can be a bit cumbersome bringing into and out of play, but I don't train to be a high-speed operator. The only reason I have 1-6 and 1-8 LVPO scopes is if the SHTF and I find myself engaging close and far off threats. Further than the capabilities of the RDS/magnifier. I am retired LEO and Ex-military and I have taken advanced firearms courses and did some guerilla warfare training in the army in the mid 80's. From all my training and experience my go to weapon that I feel fits just about any situation is a 11.5" AR with a 1-6 LVPO. I can work CQC and engage out to 400 yards with that one weapon. If I were in a situation that I knew I would only be in a CQC situation I would go for the RDS/magnifier setup.

If I was limited to just one system, it would be the LVPO

My suggestion, get a FFP LPVO and add a mount with an RDS. That way you get the best of both.

The problem with magnifiers is they also magnify the red dot. So at distance, your target can be obscured by the dot more than you’d like.
I had thought about a scope with a red dot mounted off to the side, but I prefer red dot sites with large windows which is a bit big to mount on a scope or on the rail in addition to the scope. Being able to have both systems is a blessing. I use both for their intended purpose and if I ever need one, I can grab the system best for the situation.

My suggestion, get a FFP LPVO and add a mount with an RDS. That way you get the best of both.

The problem with magnifiers is they also magnify the red dot. So at distance, your target can be obscured by the dot more than you’d like.
Not an eotech. Center dot remains the same.

That said, I take your approach. LPVO with an offset or piggybacked mrds depending on the setup.

I'm just not a fan of magnifiers. Bulky as hell. Unity somewhat solved the issue with their mount, but still bulky

I just have a good ol red dot. I imagine the time I'd most likely need it would be at home. If someone is ****ing around my four acres on the edges, that's the ar-10's job. If some is running towards my property with a bomb vest, that's my 300 win mag's job.

I like my ar light weight as possible.

Back
Top Bottom