• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

REALLY Good Article on EMP.

Good article. I just finished "One Second After" which tells about life after a high-altitude nuclear bomb explodes which sets of an EMP. Pretty good book.

yep. good book. scary, though. made me really wake up to how much of our society is based on cheap, reliable power and transportation..... similar scenario could play out from an extended oil shortage as well.

Crud... just when I thought I was safe from not using a lot of tin foil.... I'm still not making a hat though. :p

Still reading, very good info though.

Yep.

At first blush, I thought the EMP stuff was a bit out there. I thought it was a bit of a stretch. The more I have read, the more frightening it looks. Our nation (and the entire developed world) is completely unprepared for this kind of thing. It would put us back into the middle ages in the blink of an eye.

Let's hope that the solar activity that we may see here in the next year or so won't be as bad as an EMP attack...thanx for sharing this info with us!

Yep-

From what I understand, solar activity is rough on the grid (it can trip off stuff and overload transformers,) but it is not nearly as bad as a "second after" emp would be. Apparently, there is something called "the compton effect" which kinda magnifies the effect of a high-altitude emp. There are some varying opinions on how bad it would be, but everyone pretty much agrees that a strong emp would fry anything with a chip in it. Another significant effect of such an emp is that a surge protector is of no help. Apparently, a surge happens slower than a big emp, and the protector won't trip fast enough.

A year or so ago, I had never heard of an emp, but now it seems really scary. The more I read, the more frightening this stuff looks.

Thanks for the reminder I need to get that book. Boortz was talking to Newt a few months ago on his show about the effects of EMP, the book and so forth. Yes, the only "good" thing would be that you would still be alive to fight to survive instead of fried from a nuke device. But, yes, this is a huge area of concern that we should be prepared for. Very scary if u have kids to worry about. I just read the other day, our #1 enemy, the communist chinese, are working overtime to develop EMP weapons to add to their "arsenals mace" weapon groups. Of course, their number one target is the US, and specifically US Navy in the South China Sea. They assume engagingour carriers with EMP will reduce our reaction to nuke them outright since limited casualities would be suffered. Just one of many chinese threats.

Back
Top Bottom