Recommended here by a friend...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go take a riders class if you have no problem touching the ground when you stop you will be fine

This is the best advice you can take (above). If you can sit on the seat with your hands on the grips and put both of your feet flat on the ground at the same time, your scooter fits you physically. If your on your "tip toes" you need to either have it lowered or down size to a lower sitting scooter. As for as the 1800 cc's go, just remember,,,,,,,you have the power there if an when you need it. Just don't abuse it. Just because your bike will run 130 + MPH doesn't mean you need to take her that fast. AND remember this one thing about ANY motorcycle (or scooter as i always call em),,,,,,A MOTORCYCLE WILL THROW YOU DOWN IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STREET,,,,,,,,,,GO A HALF MILE UP THE ROAD,,,,,,TURN AROUND AND COME BACK AND RUN OVER YOU. Not trying to scare you by any means, just referring to the fact that they have no control, it's up to you to keep it under control. I ride Ole Betsy (in the pic) she's a 1988 Harley FLHS ELectra Glide. I don't care if a person rides a full blown dresser, sport bike, cruiser, or a moped.... I respect ANYONE who rides something with 2 or 3 wheels. And i am glad to see more and more women getting into riding. Ride Safe and Free

This is the best advice you can take (above). If you can sit on the seat with your hands on the grips and put both of your feet flat on the ground at the same time, your scooter fits you physically. If your on your "tip toes" you need to either have it lowered or down size to a lower sitting scooter. As for as the 1800 cc's go, just remember,,,,,,,you have the power there if an when you need it. Just don't abuse it. Just because your bike will run 130 + MPH doesn't mean you need to take her that fast. AND remember this one thing about ANY motorcycle (or scooter as i always call em),,,,,,A MOTORCYCLE WILL THROW YOU DOWN IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STREET,,,,,,,,,,GO A HALF MILE UP THE ROAD,,,,,,TURN AROUND AND COME BACK AND RUN OVER YOU. Not trying to scare you by any means, just referring to the fact that they have no control, it's up to you to keep it under control. I ride Ole Betsy (in the pic) she's a 1988 Harley FLHS ELectra Glide. I don't care if a person rides a full blown dresser, sport bike, cruiser, or a moped.... I respect ANYONE who rides something with 2 or 3 wheels. And i am glad to see more and more women getting into riding. Ride Safe and Free
Thank you so much for the thoughtful reply... I really appreciate it! I do physically fit the bike (5'9)... And I can stand it back up on my own when I have dumped it over (twice now)... I know low speed maneuvers and turning are difficult under any circumstances... But that is honestly where all of my apprehension comes from. I just can't seem to manage more than a straight line in first and second gear on that beast. And I am just nervous as hell on it... I am thinking about moving down to something between 700-1000 cc's to begin with... And a little more narrow so that I don't feel like my wingspan is stretched so wide. :-/ I don't know.

I am so excited to ride... I have found that women riders seem to be a freaking amazing breed... My kind of tribe. I just need to find a bike that fits me... Instead of the other way around maybe?? I welcome any advice!!! Thanks again!!

Thank you so much for the thoughtful reply... I really appreciate it! I do physically fit the bike (5'9)... And I can stand it back up on my own when I have dumped it over (twice now)... I know low speed maneuvers and turning are difficult under any circumstances... But that is honestly where all of my apprehension comes from. I just can't seem to manage more than a straight line in first and second gear on that beast. And I am just nervous as hell on it... I am thinking about moving down to something between 700-1000 cc's to begin with... And a little more narrow so that I don't feel like my wingspan is stretched so wide. :-/ I don't know.

I am so excited to ride... I have found that women riders seem to be a freaking amazing breed... My kind of tribe. I just need to find a bike that fits me... Instead of the other way around maybe?? I welcome any advice!!! Thanks again!!

Yeah you are right. You have got to fit the scooter but your scooter has to fit you too. Center of gravity and balance is very important. If yours is top heavy for you, that will make it very difficult to handle at very slow speeds. You mentioned that problem. A good "test" is to straddle your seat, hands on grips, both feet on the ground and slowly lean it over until you don't feel comfortable. Do this both ways. You should be able to lean it over 8 - 10 inches. BE CAREFUL AND DONT LEAN IT OVER TOO FAR THOUGH. You may need to get a smaller bike like you said and move up in time as your experience grows. Have a good un.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom