• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Recurve vs compound for learning on

bigred1980

Default rank <5000 posts
ODT Junkie!
125   0
Reaction score
So I took my first step into archery yesterday by taking a lesson at the Archery Learning Center in Snellville. Mostly taught us about shooting form and consistency. Gotta say it was harder than I thought shooting a recurve bow but still a lot of fun and a pretty good workout. My question is is it better to learn on a recurve or a compound? Eventually I want to be able to go hunting with it. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

A recurve is good to learn the basics on, but if you are wanting to hunt I recommend getting a compound and practice practice practice and then practice some more. You can hunt with a recurve, I've killed deer with one, but unless your Hercules you have to be right on top of the deer to kill it. Now, if you can draw and hold a 50#, or greater, recurve at full draw for about 30 seconds, without shaking, then recurve is the way to go. It's cheaper, less maintenance, and only a string to worry about with no cables.

I see
A recurve is good to learn the basics on, but if you are wanting to hunt I recommend getting a compound and practice practice practice and then practice some more. You can hunt with a recurve, I've killed deer with one, but unless your Hercules you have to be right on top of the deer to kill it. Now, if you can draw and hold a 50#, or greater, recurve at full draw for about 30 seconds, without shaking, then recurve is the way to go. It's cheaper, less maintenance, and only a string to worry about with no cables.
I see your point. I think compound is the way to go. I'm a big guy though so I'm wondering what kind of compound I should go with? Would a axle to axle length of at least 32 inches be preferable?

It all depends on what your comfortable with. Any length bow that can adjust to your draw length, and weight will work. If you would like to talk about this in-depth send me an personal message.

Axle to axle will also depend on where you intend to hunt from. Up a tree in a stand the shorter axle to axle is easier to maneuver. Diamond Infinite Edge compound is a nice bow for beginners and fully adjustable by the user without anything more than an Allen wrench. Both of my daughters and my wife shoot this bow and it will adjust to 70lbs if needed. Nice bows with 75% let off that can be had for under $400 used. I would easily take it in the woods hunting and these are my back up bows without them knowing.

Recurve traditional hunter is a personal preference that requires holding 100% of the draw weight and it is tough to do if you are not used to it. May even cause you back or shoulder problems. I have my father's 50lb recurve and I'll stick with my BOWTECH compound for hunting.

Purchasing a bow is an individual purchase and you really need to go to a shop and shoot the different bows. I recommend having them set up each name brand compound for your draw length, draw weight you are comfortable with shooting and same basic size/style of bow and shoot them. Not all of them are alike. When I bought mine I shot Hoyt, PSE, BOWTECH and Mathews at a pro shop. All set for my size 6'2" 220lb frame at 29" draw length and 60lb draw weight. It was very easy to tell which one felt the best when shooting them back to back. The BOWTECH Captain was the smoothest draw from start to full draw and nicest shooting bow out of the bunch so I bought it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom