Redneck Gunsmithing a Marlin model 60

jaybees

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
13   1
Reaction score
Just wanted to share the deal I got. My buddies 60 needed a new stock, so I told him I would look around for one. Found a guy in the neighboring town that had one for sale for $20 and when I went to pick it up, it was a complete rifle which he was going to strip down real quick and give me the stock. I asked him how much he wanted for the whole gun and he said "well, it don't work so I was just gonna sell it for parts. Give me another $10 ($30 total) and you can have it".

Got it home and the 1st thing I noticed was the feed throat was broken in the rear (actually 2 small tabs that keeps the lifter the right height). Then I noticed there was no disconnector spring.

First I worked on the spring. Looked through all of my old springs and couldn't find one that I though I could make work. The more I looked at the spring, the more it looked like an everyday safety pin. I got one and trimmed the legs to the proper length and added two bends to hold it in place. Amazingly, it worked perfect. Then started to work on the feed throat. Thought about getting my buddy to do a little welding but he wasn't home and I'm impatient. So I drilled straight through both sides at the exact height the lifter needed to be stopped. I cut a small piece of drill rod a little longer than needed, used my dremel with a grinding wheel and worked on one end to flair it out so it would not go through the hole. Seated the pin and then ground down the other side till it was flush (also flaring that side so that it is fitted in very snug). Polished both sides so the bolt would ride over it smoothly.

And that's it...a working firearm. I realize this probably won't last forever but it worked perfectly through 30 rounds I tried last night. I have already ordered the correct replacement parts but like I mentioned earlier, I'm very impatient and wanted to shoot my new gun.

Back
Top Bottom