• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Remington 550-1

tws3b

Default rank <5 posts
New to The Trader!
0   0
Reaction score
I bought this 1951 Remington 550-1 a couple years ago. I soon found that a previous owner had disassembled for cleaning or whatever and wound up bending the sear spring, stripping the threads of the sears spring case and the hole it screws into. There is only two or three threads on the case and it is under pressure from the spring when trying to put it back into the gun. Easy to understand how the threads got stripped. I got a new spring and case and the threads are holding for now and the gun is shooting great right now. But, I don't know for how long they will hold. The threads were boogered up pretty bad. I'm scared to remove the case for fear it will not hold the next time. This is a fantastic shooting gun. I've decided I'm going to go all out to find a permanent fix.
Some have suggested loctite, jb weld or other. But with only two threads. I'm not sure about that.
Some say threaded or push inserts. But, the metal that the case screws into is only about 0.121 thick, about 3/16 in. The hole size is 3/8s. All insearts that size I see are 1/2 in. long. The sear sits in the groove cut into the case. 1/2in. insert would interfere with the sear.
Fill weld the hole and redrill or tack weld the case in place so it can never move. Every part in the gun is in excellent shape and I see no reason that the gun won't last another 80 years as is with a little care so I would have no problem with that. But, I know absolutely nothing about welding. Nothing.
Or, Drill hole to 1/2in. thread, install 1/2in. plug till it's flush with back side, cut off remaining plug then drill and thread for case..
My question is, You think any of this will work?? Or, Any other Ideas would be surely Welcome.

20200917_161026_resized.jpg
20230422_121147.jpg

you could try running a tap down the hole. There may be enough thread left to clean up. If that fails use a heli-coil. You will probably need to shorten the heli-coil. If you need someone to fix it, message me.

Back
Top Bottom