• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Remington Thunderbolt #@%*&@)#%

RugerRob

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
92   0
Reaction score
Man I feel like a FOOL. Took the new Ruger 22/45 lite to the range yesterday, zeroed it in, extremely accurate. Then the screws came loose on the picatinny rail and I was done, out of ammo too. Brought it home, cleaned it, blue lock tight on the picatinny rail mounting screws, grabbed a box of ammo and headed to the range again today to re-zero it and check everything. Started out and was surprised to find I had to make very little adjustment to the red dot sight to get it re-zeroed in. Shot about 100 rounds and it started losing zero. I checked the rail and sight everything was still tight, no issues there. So I re-adjusted the sight again and started shooting. There it went off again! I tried one more time and noticed the rounds were tumbling and ripping the paper instead of leaving clean holes like the previous day. At this point I was frustrated and decided to pack it in for the day.

Went back in to pay for the range time and asked the guy about it, he checked the gun over and sure enough there was a CHUNK of lead stuck inside the bore and it was so leaded and fouled up I couldn't believe it! He asked what I was using and I pulled out a box of the Rem thunderbolts (bought them about 2 years ago) and he said there's your problem right there, totally junk ammo!

Needless to say I will never fire another round of .22 that is not copper covered... Talk about a nightmare getting the bore cleaned and all the lead that came out. Did a search on internet and there are tons of posts about Blazer lead and Rem Thunderbolts.

Will stick with the Federal and Win X jacked rounds from now on! Lesson learned the hard way! Back to the range tomorrow to re-sight it in and make sure all is well. I'm going to take a break after this week.

The exact same thing happened to a friend of mine- he had a brand new MK III Hunter and was shooting Thunderbolt ammo. After about two boxes, it started shooting all over the place. He had his cleaning rod and brush- he started brushing the bore and long strings of lead came out... it had totally packed the rifling.

I'll say that lubricated lead ammo like Wolf Match doesn't have any such issues.

I don't buy Remington .22LR any more. Not Thunderbolt or Golden Bullets. Sorry Remington-

Third time was the charm, rail no longer moving, Bushnell Red dot mounted and sighted in perfect, put 300 rounds down range, very accurate pistol, quarter size groups when the operator does his part. Pimpin' compensator should arrive tomorrow, looking at grips now as well.

2245sm.jpg

Nice .22! I've got to track down something with a threaded barrel in the next two months... otherwise I'm going to have a can an nothing to attach it to.

I found a local gunsmith that will thread my MK IIs and move the front sight screw hole for about $90 each. I need to give him a 22/45 for an "audition" and see how the work looks before I give him a real MK II

Nice .22! I've got to track down something with a threaded barrel in the next two months... otherwise I'm going to have a can an nothing to attach it to.

I found a local gunsmith that will thread my MK IIs and move the front sight screw hole for about $90 each. I need to give him a 22/45 for an "audition" and see how the work looks before I give him a real MK II

Or get a buckmark and buy an aftermarket barrel.

Back
Top Bottom