• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Remove primers

rlowman

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
7   0
Reaction score
I have a Lee primer. I had all my primers correctly lined. Some how 3 got turned so they are in upside down. Is my brass trash or is there a way to remove the primer?

Oil soak. I've used WD40. Popped them out. Now for the wild side... I have intentionally smacked primes with clawhammers both ends, ball peen, tack hammer and have never been able to get ignition. The only way was similar to it's usual environment. I took a piece of wood drilled a primer size hole and smack the primer with a coal mine brad. Sometimes then they wouldnt go off. Now factor in Murphy's Law drop one on your workbench and Boom!!! I have only once had an ignition when priming cases and that has to be one in many thousands over the years.

Not to start an argument, but I just deprime them with the sizing die, flip the primer over and re-insert. I do wear the glasses. Most guys I know do the same thing and have for years.

My belief is: The built in anvil, which looks like a three legged spider, has to have something to support it in order for the primer to ignite.

As always, I am not giving advice, I am just sharing my experiences.

Back
Top Bottom