• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Remove primers

Drill a hole in scrap lumber just larger than primer, fill case with water and using a drift approximate size of case mouth punch out the primer. A little messy but it works. Youtube berdan primed steel case relaoding for a better idea of what I'm talking about.

If they were mine, I would deprime carefully. I've never put one in up side down before but I've deprimed live primers from brass by runniing them threw my resizing die. Never had one go off and I feel safe doing it. And yes eye and ear protection is a good thing. That's just what I do and have read statements from guys that have done it for years and never had one pop. I don't see why it wouldn't work if I put one in up side down. Just slow and easy.

Rupe

If you get WD in the case you're screwed. I have removed quite a few live ones with a decapping die.
If it makes you too nervous soak em in water and decap as normal.

Oil won't reliably deactivate modern primers, FWIW. There's a mylar seal on 'em nowadays. Notice I said "reliably". Sometimes it will. Sometimes it will not.

I trash 'em if it's cheap brass. Decap them if not (but I don't reuse the primer).

I've seen factory ammo with backward primers-- and bullets, too. It happens.

Not to start an argument, but I just deprime them with the sizing die, flip the primer over and re-insert. I do wear the glasses. Most guys I know do the same thing and have for years.

My belief is: The built in anvil, which looks like a three legged spider, has to have something to support it in order for the primer to ignite.

As always, I am not giving advice, I am just sharing my experiences.

I have been doing this with no problems as well. Just wear eyes, slowly decap and reprime brass. I do not use the same primer however.

Back
Top Bottom