• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Reusing spent primers, not real productive. But will work

PA4476

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
168   0
Reaction score
Ok, so this is very time consuming. And not real easy to do. But, in a tight.... It WILL work.

Take a spent primer, pry out the anvil, use a drive punch to pound out the fireing pin dent from the inside.

Clean out any old powder residue.

Take a cap pistol cap and use the primer cup to cut out the cap.

Push the cap down into the cup and gently replace the anvil.

Reload as normal.

I done a couple and tried them, they worked well. So I loaded up 5 rounds and they all fired. They all have a kind of a "hang fire" Like a muzzel loader. But they shot and felt like the ignited all the powder.

1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG4.JPG5.JPG6.JPG7.JPG8.JPG9.jpg10.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Somewhere around here I have the directions on how to make the priming compound so you don't have to use caps from a cap gun. Lemme dig.

I would think if you used 2 or three caps at a time or as many as will fit under the anvil you'd probably get better ignition and possibly improve the hang fire you describe.

I would think if you used 2 or three caps at a time or as many as will fit under the anvil you'd probably get better ignition and possibly improve the hang fire you describe.

This is true, BUT, it's hard to get the anvil back in without setting off the cap with only 1 in it. They must have very little space between the cup and anvil. I set off a couple by being to aggressive with the anvil.

Back
Top Bottom