• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Review: Beretta 92FS

jeepinshep

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
12   0
Reaction score
I'm on "vacation" in Texas, visiting my family for what will probably be the last time before shipping out for Army Basic Training in September. In making plans for the trip, I made sure to set aside a day to go shooting with my dad, brother, and brother-in-law at one of my dad's friend's land.

We all took turns shooting each other's weapons, which included my (Italian) Beretta 92FS (9mm), my brother's Sig P229 (.40) and Kahr PM9 (9mm), brother-in-law's Walther P99 (.40) and HK USP Compact (9mm), and dad's Ruger (9mm).

None of these guys had ever shot each other's weapon models before, so each gun was a new experience. All of us shot every weapon there. We were shooting silhouettes, multi-bullseye target, and splatter targets hanging roughly chest high at approximately 18 yards. The majority of the ammo we were shooting was Winchester White Box and Federal target ammo in 9mm and Remington target ammo in .40 S&W.

It is interesting to note that everyone was considerably more accurate with MY Beretta than they were with THEIR OWN GUNS (this is especially true compared to the two .40 S&W guns). That includes my brother's accuracy with my Beretta over the Sig he daily carries as a police officer (he was pretty dang accurate with his Sig, but just was able to get a tad better 5-shot groups with my Beretta).

The comment all three of them made after unloading their first mag in the Beretta was basically, "MAN that shoots SMOOTH!". My brother and brother-in-law both commented on how well balanced the Beretta was, both loaded and unloaded. When it was my turn to shoot their guns, I noticed the difference immediately, and I preferred my Beretta over every other gun there.

I wish I had taken some pictures of the targets to reference, but my best grouping of the day was a 5-shot group at 18 yards on the splatter target. 1 shot was dead-center of the bulls-eye, with 2 others partially in the bulls-eye. The total grouping was in about a 1 1/2" area.

All things considered, we had a great time shooting the guns and shooting the breeze. In all, we fired approximately 700 rounds total and just had an awesome afternoon.

Bottom line is, I love my Beretta more than any other gun I've owned. I have found that I am more accurate with it (even with cheap target ammo) and I love the way it feels in my hand. And to get the comments and compliments on it that I got from 3 guys who have all owned several handguns in their days really impressed upon me that this is just an all-around great gun.

My brother-in-law loved it so much that he said he was going to go trade his P99 toward one if his local shop ever gets a used one in!

On a side note, they all loved the color-fill that I did on the slide serrations and text etched into the slide (thanks Soviet!).

Back
Top Bottom