• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Review: Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory Target Gun

So... took it to the range today with 5 other folks from the office that shoot. The Victory with the new trigger was probably the favorite of everyone there. I had my suppressor on it, so there was definitely a 'cool factor', but everyone was stunned by how accurate it was with the trigger and the VQ barrel.

A guy I work with is a sponsored bow shooter and guide. He's so good with a gun that he's moved off to bows just so there's a challenge to it. He probably put 100 rounds through that gun just because he could punch everything through a single hole. I'll bet he has one in a month's... or maybe a week.

Next up... C More red dot.

I was actually looking at the older model... specifically this one:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D4LJ73...2PWBT0WJEY58D&coliid=I11LO61GOOHPM&th=1&psc=1

Any feedback on those?
I have a buddy who is a competition shooter and he's freaky GOOD! He can knock 5 bowling pins off of a table in under 2 seconds; that's how good he is. He uses these C-More rail sights on all of his guns from his Mark II's and revolvers, up to and including his .45 1911's. He told me he will be moving to the newer sight when the time comes to replace his older ones, which the company sends him for free. So far, he has no plans to change out his current sights just for the sake of changing them, but he shot my victory and he loves the new unit. Actually, C-More sent him one before they were actually released to test and he shot it for awhile and then sent it back to them. The one he got was a test unit and they probably made some improvements based on his suggestions I'm sure.

Took my Victory to the range finally; have had it over a year.
Noticed that if you lower the rear sight too far, the screw gets in the way of removing the sight (was going to see what the rail's fixed notch was like). I kept adjusting the aim but couldn't get it right. Then noticed the barrel was loose!
Didn't find the problem until I took it apart to clean. Need to try again to sight it in, right.

Did notice it didn't like Aguila hollow points. Not sure if it's the ammo, the gun not broken in, or it was dirty. Only bought them because they were the only Aguila I could find at the time, and wanted to try some in my RIA XT22 (worked fine).

Victory worked great with Federal/Eagle, RIA not so much (heavy steel slide).

Have you replaced the trigger yet? If not that a look at these, the best $40 you can spend on it. I can't say enough good things about it.

https://www.tandemkross.com/Victory-Trigger-for-SW22-Victory_p_251.html

View attachment 1041873
Tried to install mine today and it won't work in my gun for some reason. The trigger is so tight against the frame at the top it can't rotate on the trigger pin. After about ten tries, I've given up and put the factory trigger back in the gun. I wrote them a little love letter and will wait and see what they have to say. I'm bummed about it, too since I have a competition tomorrow and was hoping to shoot with the new trigger.

Did you have any issues with yours when you installed it?

Tried to install mine today and it won't work in my gun for some reason. The trigger is so tight against the frame at the top it can't rotate on the trigger pin. After about ten tries, I've given up and put the factory trigger back in the gun. I wrote them a little love letter and will wait and see what they have to say. I'm bummed about it, too since I have a competition tomorrow and was hoping to shoot with the new trigger.

Did you have any issues with yours when you installed it?

I didn't have any issues at all with mine. I did read a few folks had that issue, which model is yours?

I know that the trigger they sent me had a set screw that wasn't mentioned in the instruction video. It actually made it easier once I figured out how it was supposed to work though.

I did learn the hard way not to install the pre-travel screw. Even a few threads too much would cause the action to bind up. Works like champ without it though, so I just skipped installing it.

I know that the trigger they sent me had a set screw that wasn't mentioned in the instruction video. It actually made it easier once I figured out how it was supposed to work though.

I did learn the hard way not to install the pre-travel screw. Even a few threads too much would cause the action to bind up. Works like champ without it though, so I just skipped installing it.
I received an email from them today (SUNDAY) with a promise of a quick follow-up and suggestions to remedy my issues. So far, I'm impressed by just hearing from them so quickly!

Stay tuned...!

FINALLY!

I got my trigger working after MUCH discussion and analysis with Eric at TandemKross. OMG, what a helpful and professional guy he is, and the Company is certainly a reflection of his diligence and concern.

I could go on for 5 days (which is how long it took me to finally get this trigger to work) about what all I had to do to this thing, but long story short... I got it installed and it's working perfectly. I mated up my VQ barrel and it is now one mean shootin' muthuh.

Bottom line is this... if you have one of these SW22 pistols, DON'T be afraid to buy some upgrades from TK to get it just how you want it. I'm actually still waiting for my new Altamonte Walnut grips and upgraded mag release to arrive, but I really don't know how it could make this gun any better.

Yes, I've said it before; I'm an AMT Lightning and Ruger Mark II guy all the way, but I think this gun can compete with them all. Maybe not over the long haul because of all the plastic parts, but right now this SW22 is right near the top of the pile.

Good shooting, everyone!

IMG_20170428_171941354.jpg
IMG_20170428_173834242.jpg
IMG_20170428_174852619.jpg

Back
Top Bottom