River/reservoir proximity questions

Patronus

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
152   0
Reaction score
How many of us are thinking about the possibility of long term shut down of civilization? Specifically as it impacts water, no not just drinking water per se but access and major flows of water.

What started me thinking was my own proximity to West Point lake. I'd have to hike a mile each way to fetch water home. Not good. But then I realized that my water source is a man-made lake that only exists because of a dam. If SHTF turned into a post apocalyptic world how long and against how much buildup would that dam be able to handle?

So, in light of the scenario where dams get forgotten or are not able to be maintained I started thinking about possible dam breaks and two major problems that would cause.

1. Proximity - my two mile round trip could well become five or even more. I'd have to check the river/creek channels. What about y'all?

2. There are a lot of people who live in low lying areas downstream of these dams who never even realize or think about it. In the scenario I am thinking about that could well be suicidal. How many of y'all have dams upstream of you?

Man ... if the Buford damn busted, I can't imagine that anything south of it would be in less than five feet of water. I'm sure someone has done the calculations ...

Most concrete dams are designed to last at least 100 years, barring any oddity, like an earthquake.
Hoover dam will finish curing around 2050!
Earthen dams require constant maintenence, and without heavy equipment, will not last long.

Also keep in mind how many other people will be making that same trek to get water.
Do you really want to pull water from the bank where 5000 people have been wading around all day?

No worries man. The gubment will provide you and your family with safe, clean drinking water in the event of. :rolleyes:

I've got 20+ thousand gallons of water in my back yard that would sustain me for a short time if need be. After that I'm trekking thru the woods like you and everybody else!

I've got 20+ thousand gallons of water in my back yard that would sustain me for a short time if need be.
This right.here is the number one reason I put up with the bull**** that comes with owning a pool. Kinda nice to know that I am storing 35000 gallons of water that could be used if necessary right out my.back door.

Earthen dams require constant maintenence, and without heavy equipment, will not last long.

Not entirely true.. Carters dam was built in the late 60's and has never seen heavy equipment. The base of that dam is over 1/4 mile wide and over 400ft tall! Largest earth dam east of the miss.

don't worry about West Point. Think positive! No one to clear all those trees that would build up against the dam. no one releasing water downriver. it might just back right up to your door!

Back
Top Bottom