• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Rock Island Compact

willh4053

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
151   1
Reaction score
I shoot a lot of 1911's, the Rock Island has a reputation for being one of the cheapest and is often dismissed by shooters based on sheer cost. That being said I traded for one not to long ago, because I was looking for another compact 1911. I went to Pannels in Woodstock yesterday to test this new gun out. I fired right at 100 rounds at targets of various distances. I had zero problems with the gun or the ammo(which was cheap Winchester white box). The gun in fact shoots just as accurately as my Springfield champion and is considerably smaller. I really don't think I could say enough good things about this gun, Its fun to shoot, accurate and not one that will break the bank.

I shoot a lot of 1911's, the Rock Island has a reputation for being one of the cheapest and is often dismissed by shooters based on sheer cost. That being said I traded for one not to long ago, because I was looking for another compact 1911. I went to Pannels in Woodstock yesterday to test this new gun out. I fired right at 100 rounds at targets of various distances. I had zero problems with the gun or the ammo(which was cheap Winchester white box). The gun in fact shoots just as accurately as my Springfield champion and is considerably smaller. I really don't think I could say enough good things about this gun, Its fun to shoot, accurate and not one that will break the bank.

I agree completely, I had a Hi Standard Compact Crusader, which is essentially the same gun and had the same great results from it. Great gun for a good price.

Rock Islands seem to be pretty well made. The only thing the Springfield has over a RIA is a forged frame vs. the Rock Islands cast frame. I have heard of Rock Islands having problems with the frames developing hairline cracks after several thousand rounds but I have never seen this in person.

I have 7 of them. Only 1911s I own. Not that there is anything wrong with other guns but from a value standpoint you can't beat them. They also have a lifetime warranty. To me its like buying Craftsman instead of Snap on.

Match grade w FO front sight and adjustable rear.
Matte Nickel Tactical.
Pak'd Tactical
9mm Tactical
Compact GI
Full Size GI
Hi Cap GI.

Rock Islands seem to be pretty well made. The only thing the Springfield has over a RIA is a forged frame vs. the Rock Islands cast frame. I have heard of Rock Islands having problems with the frames developing hairline cracks after several thousand rounds but I have never seen this in person.

Can't complain much about Cast frames when they make them out of plastic now!!!!!!!!!

I had never had any issues with my RIA Tactical. I love it just as accurate as any i have fired. I only have about 150 rounds through it so far but have been perfect. I had a RIa GI that had almost 1000 rounds through it and it also never had a hiccup at all with any ammo

LDJ, you have SEVEN of them! WOW, and my wife tells me I have more than enough guns! That is great! I have been looking dillilgently for a RIA. Haven't found the right weapon at the right price yet, but I am looking. Geez, SEVEN!

I hear so much good about these trusty 1911's. I may have to get the commander or officer sized one and pimp it out after reading this. Seven? I'm feeling a bit gun lonely over here now.

Back
Top Bottom