• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

MilitantFarmer

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
19   0
Reaction score
When the patron saint of firearms, John Moses Browning, developed the Winchester 1892, he developed a true, lasting piece of Americana that we see in countless westerns. Rossi picking up the mantle and producing a working man's version (as true Winchesters now have become a luxury) of an American classic. It was a worthwhile investment for me. It most certainly is a couple levels below a Winchester or Henry, but it produces results. I am not nearly as worried about wear taking this thing through the woods as I would be with a Henry.

The initial shock when I picked up the rifle is how light it is. Despite the 20 inch barrel and being topped off with rounds(11), it is still lighter than any other rifle I own. But don't let the weight fool you, it is not a 22lr. Even with 38 specials, I was noticing a big difference in the sound the gongs were making as opposed to a 4 inch barrel revolver.

The added energy, however, equated to less recoil. 38s coming from the carbine felt just like shooting 22lr. The recoil of the magnum loads were a minimal increase at best but a huge difference downrange. I am not a Jerry Miculek, but I was still able to produce 2 inch groups at 50+ yards with the carbine while standing. Ammo I found that preformed poorly in revolvers, were quite accurate in this platform.

The gun definitely has a rustic look to her from the factory. Whether they chose that or simply cutting costs, the gun new looks worn. The finish of the metal is average, but the wood needs sanded and stained immediately. Dad and Grandpa admired the rustic look the gun had though, and some may find it appealing.

The only malfunctions I encountered is sometimes the lifter fails to bring up next cartridge after ejecting a spent casing. I sometimes need to open the lever up again to cycle the gun properly. It has done this with both 38 special and 357 Magnums, handloads and factory ammunition. It is not a common error, and possibly the gun needs worn in. The action is very smooth and as fast as the operator.

Back
Top Bottom