• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Ruger 77 COMPACT

Chuckdog

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
11   0
Reaction score
I've recently got a couple Ruger 77 Compacts. One a 7mm-08 caliber with 16.5" High Lustre Blued steel barreled action with a walnut stock with a 12.5" l.o.p. for smaller shooters or someone that prefers a shorter overall length. The second is a .243 Winchester caliber with the same dimensions, but with a matte stainless barreled action and a laminated wood stock. Both are very handy, and exceptionally accurate. I chronographed a couple of different loads through the .243 and was pleasantly surprised by the velocity obtained from from the small bore and short barrel. A 3 shot string of 100g Sierra bullets loaded with H335, a fast burning powder chosen for effeciency not normally used in most 243 apps. It produced a consistent 2685 fps. The book listed 2700 from a 22" barrel. Pretty impressive in my book. I shot a 3 shot string of 70g noslers loaded using Varget and produced and average 3155fps, again most impressive. I didn't have time to chronograph anything through the 7-08, maybe another day. Both of these rifles are typical Rugers with only a short barrel and a short stock. I bought these to try to find a good rifle for my granddaughter. They both shoot well, the triggers are a little on the heavy side, but free of creep and very little overtravel. The dimensions fit my 12 year old Granddaughter well and she handles the .243 recoil with ease. My overall impression of both these little rifles is very good. With a little trigger work it would be excellent. I will probably settle on the .243 for her, I may keep the 7-08 for a while and play with some different powders to see what a short barrel has to offer. I'm surprised at just how well I like these little Rugers. It just goes to show ya, huh!

I have one in 308. I was looking for a light weight rifle to use when I have to walk deep on public land. Most of my shots are close so the 16.5" barrel wasn't a concern for me. I mounted a Leupold VXI 2x7x33 on top of it. I love that little rifle but I've found more advantages to it than just the light weight. If I'm hunting in a ground blind I can move that rifle around with ease inside the blind to shoot in any direction. In the stand you can move from right handed to left real fast also. The length of pull was a concern a buddy of mine expressed. It's not an issue for me. When you get your camo on, especially in cold weather, it will not be an issue. Shoots well at the range also. I really like this rifle and would suggest you take a look at one the next time you're at the gun shop.

If you decide to sell that 243 let me know.
I've always wanted one of those, would be great for a utility rifle and you can't beat 243 for anything you'll be doing around here.

I'm a sucker for polished blue steel and nicely grained walnut. I was looking to get my daughter one of these in .243 last year and had one slip through my fingers on Gunbroker. Several gun snobs tried to talk me out of considering it as I was looking at the Remington model seven and Winchester featherlight. I really think they are in the same ballpark and a bargain for what they offer. I'd really like one in .308 for hunting the hills. Ruger has always had a customer-factory relationship. I picked up a M77V in .308 and the 6X18 scope would not fit. When I contacted Ruger they asked for my address and shipped a new set to me and no charge! The gun was reasonably accurate but the best I could handload for it was 1 3/4" groups and it typically shot 2 1/2" groups with most factory ammo. It just could not keep up with 101st Snipers and their Remingtons past 600 yards on pop up targets.

Back
Top Bottom