• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Ruger Charger 10/22 Pistol

13   0
Reaction score
Recently picked up a Ruger 10/22 Charger with the green layered stock and bipod for my daughter. Threw on a 3x9 scope, went to the range and shot a bunch of paper targets. Using CCI ammo, had zero feed issues on about 3 hundred rounds. Tested 4 types that day and the CCI dominated in performance. Daughter hit 3 tennis balls in 7 shots at 30 yards. Accuracty exceeded expectations. Found that regardless of manufacturer the hollow points just don't feed as well. Will keep trying.

When the budget allowed, I ordered a 10/22 Takedown Light Weight Chassis from PMACA MFG in California. Had been trolling their page and then four days prior to budget refresh (aka payday) saw they were sold out. Shoot their POC an email inquiry and am told they will be back in stock on Friday. Exchange a couple emails and poof, Friday they are in-stock. To ensure I got one of the TD Chassis available they email the direct link. Ordered it Friday afternoon pacific time, get an immediate system email receipt for the purchase and then 2 minutes later an email that they were packing it up. 10 minutes later I have the tracking number and see it will be in Monday night. Not sure if they upgraded my service or it was because of weekend days moving but Monday night it was here.
Because of non shooting commitments (the X) I did not get hands on until Tuesday evening. Immediately break open the packaging and check out the goods. Amazing. Not a single scuff or abrasion or mark. The two piece chassis was gorgeous. The edges were smooth all around, interior and exterior. I pull apart the Ruger and drop it in the new chassis. Snug perfect fit. Screw everything together and it fits perfectly. No wiggle, no bounce, tight.

They supply a buffer tube stopper but my whole plan was to throw on a Kak blade. So install an extra AR pistol tube, the blade, Magpul pistol grip and a cheap red dot. Even with the pink pistol grip and a couple other pink items thrown in by PMACA, it looks mean! Now to shoot it...

Take the daughter out to the range. Quick zero on the red dot and start hitting her with drills. Single shot target acquisition, double taps, shifting targets left right etc. SHE IS HAMMERING the target! Even with doing speed drills she was hitting bull at 10 yards 1 in 20 shots. Started slow and she sped up over the afternoon. Nothing like having your 12 yr old smiling having fun and learning a skill. Ran CCI without a single feed issue. It shot comfortably and accuracy was impressive.

Had a half dozen people try out this rig and the feedback was very positive. Comfortable, easy to use, fast and FUN.

Do you need a Ruger Charger? No. No you don't. Pick this one up, do some drills and well, you will want one. I built this for my daughter so she could really learn to shoot. It will be a transition item as she masters her techniques.

Side benefit I did not plan on. This thing is LIGHT. My daughter and Ex can carry this comfortably and 500 rounds without difficulty. This is an awesome setup for an oh **** gun for someone smaller. With the TD set up, and future mods, it will be 10 1'2" long and will fit in a camelback with ease.

DO you need one, nope, but its fun as hell and a great learning platform. Thanks to PMACA for amazing customer service, Mike at the GA Gun Store and Wilson Shoals Range.

Video review on UGETUBE.COM here.....https://videos.utahgunexchange.com/...er-review-by-swandog1776_dC6YzihGiY7ruA4.html
(If the below links should not be here, let me know and I'll delete)

Georgia Gun Store
https://georgiagunstore.com/

PMACA MFG
https://www.pmacamfg.com/collections/all

Ruger Charger
https://ruger.com/products/22Charger/models.html

Have you had any issues with new mags or actions. where the second round nose gets scoring from the bolt?
Such as you chamber the first round. Fire it. The bolt going back feeds the new round and also scores the round under the first initial round in the chamber. This score will cause accuracy issues at distances greater than 25 yards. Could be from the bolt, the ammo 40Gr RN CCI SV, or new mag spring tension.

The feed issues I have had have been with hollow points. The CCI were 100% feed. The failures appear to be a failure to completely extract. Pull the trigger, cycle, pull the trigger, nothing, pull the charging handle rotate and drop a piece of brass and a round. Release bolt and fire.

5E1422DB-B149-4E20-BE09-9BEB2C7AEEB7.jpeg

First chance i have had to upload some pics of the PMACA Chasis. Note when received it was beautiful and clean. My daughter and I have now approx 1200 rounds out in 5 trips to the range. Just gun to shoot. This will be my (don’t tell my daughter) training rig for awhile since it works and I can drill techniques in cheaper that 556.

Here are some close ups.
I have external pics only at this time. When I do a full breakdown I’ll get some interior pics. Couple of complaints about the take down hardware from other users, I do don’t see the issue. Appropriate gap, well machined. Assembly is a breeze. The issues I have with 10/22 are still the damn bolt release. That’s a later project.
6E014D10-84C2-45E7-8AA8-D6D7C92993A3.jpeg
1E33DC9E-1010-4627-B77C-10061C0C65D3.jpeg
7AA354C7-05F5-4597-9DA8-BFBF69A7E4E3.jpeg

3000 round update.

The gun shoots great. The only issue I have had have been feed issues all traceable to magazine issues.

Just did a shoot with some young ladies from my daughters troop. This was the gun of choice. Light weight, easy target acquisition with a red dot, the girls had a blast. Now well over 3000 rounds and it’s just getting better.

Back
Top Bottom