• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Ruger GP-100 in 22LR

spencer60

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
286   0
Reaction score
Ever since Ruger announced this gun last year, I've been waiting to try one out.

I've had the SP-101 in 22LR, but wasn't really happy with it, mainly due to the terrible trigger pull on it. I also had the LCR in 22LR, but really never really found a use for it. Too inaccurate for plinking and too underpowered for carry.

I do have a nice High Standard revolver, but the operative word there is 'nice'. It's in way too good condition to make it out as a plinker or range gun.

So when they announced that one of my favorite revolvers, the GP-100, would be coming out in 22LR I was really excited. That was last October and ever since then I've been asking at every gun store I go in whether they had seen any yet. Until last week the answer was always 'no'.

I went by AO last week to check on powder, and as usual walked by the gun counters just to window shop. The guy at the Ruger counter wasn't busy, so I asked him for the thousandth time if they had gotten and of the GP-100s in 22LR in. This time he said "let me check, I think we just got in 10 of them".

I played with it a bit at the store, bought it, and have taken it out to the range a couple of time now. This review is more my first impressions than an ultimate review, but I'll add in more as I get more experience with it.

So without further delay...

The specs on the gun are kind of interesting. As you can see in the first picture, it's got a longer barrel than my 'standard' GP-100 in 38/357, just under 6 inches (5-1/2" according to the specs). It's actually heavier than the 38/357 model as well, at 42oz. You can see that a lot of that weight is up front, in the barrel itself, since area's like the top-strap and such are thinner than the 357 model.

The grips are interchangeable with the existing models, and they come with the nicer 'old style' rubber and wood parts all the GPs used to have. I have a pair of Altamont grips (same as on the 357 in the pic) on the way though, since I like having the checkering.

GP100 comparison.JPG

The external giveaway that this isn't a 357 model is the number of flutes in the cylinder. You can see from the picture below that this gun hold 10 rounds, making good use of all that space available. The flutes and the "22LR" stamped on the barrel are really the only indication that this isn't a normal GP-100.

GP100 cyl.JPG

The sights are a nice setup, with an easy to track green fiber-optic up front, and the typical Ruger windage and elevation adjustable rear units they use everyplace. The front sight does not use the same quick-release system as the standard model though, and has a much smaller dovetail.

I was looking around to see if Ruger uses this same sight on other guns, but I couldn't find an example of that, so it may be unique to this revolver. That would be too bad, since that means there won't be much, if any, after-market support for front sights on this gun if you want something different.

The action out of the box, before cleaning was kind of gritty. Lots of metal-on-metal contact in the feel. In fact I almost passed on it at the store because of that.

However after cleaning it out with liberal blasts of Gun Scrubber, and applying some Royal Purple gun lube (good stuff) it felt a whole lot better, and after dry firing for a few evenings and two range trips it's as smooth as my 357 GP-100 now.

The trigger as it stands now is almost exactly the same as on the 357 model, It's smooth and almost perfectly consistent except for the slight drop in resistance you feel when the cylinder stops turning and is locked in place.

The only real difference I can feel is that the trigger is definitely heavier in the 22 model than in the 357 model. It's not as bad the SP-101 was, that seemed to be designed to meet NYPD trigger guidelines, but it is noticeably heavier.

I've heard that the more holes in the cylinder, the harder the trigger pull will be, because the mechanism has to do the same amount of work in a shorter distance.

That sounds suspect to me, since a large part of the the 'work' is rotating the cylinder, and with more holes the rotation is less (36 degrees for a 10 shot versus 60 degrees for a 6 shot). Whatever the case, it always seem to be true. My High Standard is only a six shot, and that has a much lighter trigger.

At the end of the day the trigger is a little heavier than a 357 GP-100, and a lot lighter than an SP-101 in 22. It's very useable and if it's like my 357 model, will continue to improve over time.

BTW, the manual is basically the GP-100 manual with an insert. They don't mention whether or not it's OK to dry-fire this gun without snap caps, so to be safe I used them anyway. I'm planning to call Ruger and ask, and I'll post the result here.

Next up... Range report. But first a couple of more pictures.

I took the gun to the range twice, but the first time was literally out of the box, with the gritty trigger, and the results weren't great.

The second trip was after cleaning and lubing the gun, and with a little dry-firing to clean up the trigger. I bought a few different types of ammo, including some Vostok 22 Shorts and some Aguila 'Super' Colibri that will only work in revolvers and bolt actions.

The first picture is using CCI Standard Velocity, shooting offhand at 10 yards. In the pic you can see that I tried both Single Action (SA) and Double Action (DA) modes with surprisingly little difference until I really focused on trigger control in the "SA" target on the right.

That SA group in the top-right was my best by far, and the 3 'flyers' are actually my first three rounds, after which I changed my point of aim to get the group seen just to the right of the bull. It shows (to me at least) that good groups are possible with this gun, just not easy.

GP100 offhand.JPG

The second picture is really just to show how bad Colibri rounds are when it comes to accuracy. That's the same distance and holds, but they are all over the target. The 22 shorts (not shown) actually did OK once I saw they were grouping almost one whole target low of the one I was aiming at.

GP100 Colibiri.JPG

I also got good results from a range of different 22, including Federal, Aguila and Fiocchi ammo, and although I had a few light strikes (more likely hard primers) on the Russian 22 Shorts, none of the name brand ammo gave me a problem.

In conclusion... I'm glad I decided to buy this gun. It's pretty much what I've been looking for in a 22 revolver, with very few things about it I would improve.

The positives are that I'm sure it will be as rugged and reliable as the GP's have always been. The 10 shot capacity is what every 22 revolver should hold, there's no reason for anything less in a gun this size. The size and weight mean that it's very stable even when pulling the trigger in DA mode.

It's got nice sights, and the fact that many parts, including grips (which are critical in fitting a revolver to your hand size) already exist means this gun has a huge head start in the aftermarket support available. Accuracy is also pretty good once you get used to the action, especially in SA mode if you really concentrate on it.

Pricing is fair but not great, with this one going for $680 new. If that sounds high for a 22 plinker... it is. But if you look at the retail price on the SP-101 or the Smith & Wesson 617 you will find they are the same or higher, and the Smith has the same MSRP with less of a discount (usually).

Given that revolvers are a low-volume design these days, I would expect this gun to be discounted a little more heavily as it becomes more available, but just like it's big brother in 357, it probably won't be too deep a discount no matter what. If you want something cheaper you'll need to roll the dice with a Taurus or an old High Standard.

On the downside, the action as a whole is still heavier than I would like in a 22 revolver. I'm hoping it will drop some more with use but there's no guarantee there. Also, if you are thinking of this as a 'kids gun', forget about it. It's a full sized GP-100 and the size and weight would make it challenging for most kids to even hold, let alone shoot.

The unique front sight may or may not be an issue. So far I like the factory part, and if there's no reason to change it, then I won't miss the fact that I have nothing to change it to.

Overall I'd give this gun a sold "B" grade. It's not perfect, but if you are a fan of the GP-100, this gun will fit right in.

Back
Top Bottom