Ruger Mark II Competition

above_all

Air Force Icon Super Lifetime Supporter 1
May be an a-hole, but not 100% a dick.
411   0
Reaction score
This was listed on Gunbroker by Dawsonville Gun & Pawn last week. I kept my eye on it and snagged it at the end of the auction. Only had one mag, nothing else and someone had done a poor job of touching up the front sight.

Removed the grips and ran some brake cleaner through it and wiped it down. Removed the gloss paint from the front sight. Lubed it with Rem Oil and everything smoothed out really nice. Took some Flitz to the pistol today and took a Birchwood Casey flat black paint pen to the front sight. Installed a set of competition grips I had on a Mark II Target. Been selling some cases on here and found a Competition case, lock and paperwork.

So, here it is. My new pride and joy. Just need to find a set of stainless rings and I'll be good to go. Taking it to the range tomorrow after visiting the Mobile DAV van in Cartersville tomorrow morning.

20140614_193102.jpg

20140616_225014.jpg

I don't see them often on ODT. They're out there on GB. If you work it right, you can walk away with a really good deal. People were bidding over $600 for this same gun NIB. Couldn't believe it. Used, they sell for over $500. Not going to sell it, but I can't figure out why they go for almost as much as a new MKIII.

Now when I'm gone my son can have my stainless MKII Target with Hi-Viz sights and my daughter can have my MKII Competition. I sleep better at night knowing they're not going to be fighting over the the MKII Target.

very nice! ive had a few of the target models but i just picked up a mkIII competition a few weeks ago. havent fired it yet but i expect it to be one of my favorites, i really like the mk's

Last edited:
I have a regular Mk II, best .22LR pistol ever... ( IMHO ) Nice slab side Mk II, I do have a question, did you paint the trigger? My Mk II trigger is gold, but I bought my gun around 1994... I'd love to get a 2nd Mk II down the road.

I don't see them often on ODT. They're out there on GB. If you work it right, you can walk away with a really good deal. People were bidding over $600 for this same gun NIB. Couldn't believe it. Used, they sell for over $500. Not going to sell it, but I can't figure out why they go for almost as much as a new MKIII.

Now when I'm gone my son can have my stainless MKII Target with Hi-Viz sights and my daughter can have my MKII Competition. I sleep better at night knowing they're not going to be fighting over the the MKII Target.

Nice pickup! I think the MKII's go for as much as they do, even USED, because some of us just don't like all the "Improvements" Ruger made to the Gun when they went from the MKII to the MKIII...Just an educated guess, you understand... :) ....mikey357

I have a regular Mk II, best .22LR pistol ever... ( IMHO ) Nice slab side Mk II, I do have a question, did you paint the trigger? My Mk II trigger is gold, but I bought my gun around 1994... I'd love to get a 2nd Mk II down the road.

interesting, my blued mkII came with a stainless trigger. i believe it was purchased in late 80's

interesting, my blued mkII came with a stainless trigger. i believe it was purchased in late 80's

I had a buddy of mine duracote the Mk II, For some reason he didn't do the sights or trigger, but I do know the trigger is gold colored... Great pistol, eats the cheapist ammo around, not that there is a whole bunch of .22 at the moment, to be had.

Very nice I too picked up a Mark II competition and a Mark II target two weeks ago. I shot both and they can out shoot me.
Not to hijack your thread but I need boxes , hadn't thought of finding any easily. If anyone has a box PM me.
Question , best place to get mags for these?
Congratulations on the score!!!

Both my Target and Competition came with black triggers. I've looked at the part listings at the back of the owners manual and I think it's a 'target' trigger.

Most gun stores and pawn shops that aren't all tactical will have MKII mags. Also try CDNN.

Back
Top Bottom