• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

S&W 686 or Ruger GP100 Opinions for .22lr Brick Giveaway!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cxglock26

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
123   4
Reaction score
Item Name: S&W 686 or Ruger GP100 Opinions for .22lr Brick Giveaway***UPDATED***!!!

Item is for: Sale or Trade

Sale Price: FREE

Trade Value or Items Looking For: Your Opinion

Caliber: .22lr

Willing to Ship: Yes

Bill of Sale Required?: No

Item Description: Ok so I've always been a S&W guy but all of my revolvers are in .38 special. So, I'd like to move up to a .357 where I can shoot both calibers. Of course the S&W 686 is on my radar but I've been some good reviews and people raving about the GP100 by Ruger. Now, I know I have to shoot them both and which one feels best in my hand I should buy and I will do that. But, that got me thinking I wonder how many ODTers would like to give a compelling argument for their favorite revolver of choice between the S&W 686 and the Ruger GP100.

So, try to convince me as to why your choice in revolver is your choice. Give me good concrete evidence as to why you would ride or die with either your S&W 686 or your Ruger GP100. Post a pic if you like even. For your troubles, the member who I feel that poses the best argument will win a Remington .22lr 525 round brick for participating.

I'll choose a winner next week Friday (May 10).

So, to sum up quickly, give me your best argument for either the S&W 686 revolver or the Ruger GP100 revolver in .357. And if you happen to have another model in those two manufacturers go for it as well.

Enjoy!!!

***UPDATED***UPDATED***UPDATED***

zesty and izoid are the winners!!!

Well guys, I shot both the Ruger GP100 4" and the SP101 3" and I shot the S&W 686 4" and I have to say thanks for all of your guys' advice and thoughts on the two brands. I must say though, both guns shot well. But..... I could not shake the steadiness, accuracy and command that I was able to keep both right and left handed that I had with the Smith. So, my quest began on a search for a .357 Smith either Model 686, Model 28-2 or Model 19. I have model 19-4 2" now that I can use as my EDC and shoots straight. So, the 19-1 4" model is available on another thread for sale. Sweet!!!

Pictures:
1367415935_0.jpg

DISCLAIMER: Always comply with local, state, federal, and international law. The Outdoors Trader does not become involved in transactions between parties. Review our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use for more information.

Attachments

• photo (45).jpg
    photo (45).jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 25
  • photo (46).jpg
    photo (46).jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 30
  • photo (48).JPG
    photo (48).JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 29
  • photo (50).jpg
    photo (50).jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 27
  • photo (52).jpg
    photo (52).jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Both are great guns! That being said...I would go smith. Not only for the quality of the Smith and Wesson, but you can get a 686 with the 7 round cylinder!

Smith.

Because its a Smith.

Believe me I know. I have 3 Smiths and have never really ever looked at Ruger but I'd like to see some passionate explanations from our fellow ODTers.

- - - Updated - - -

Both are great guns! That being said...I would go smith. Not only for the quality of the Smith and Wesson, but you can get a 686 with the 7 round cylinder!

Yeah that 7th round does make it much, much more tempting. And extra shot is always nice.

I'm not going to try to sway you one way or the other so no 22 for me but I will say both have their strengths. The ruger is stronger than the smith as far as being able to handle full power .357 all day every day. However, if you aren't going to be shooting full power loads all the time, the smith IMO, has a better trigger than the ruger.

Both are great weapons but the ultimate deciding factor is how they both feel in your hand and on your hip. I don't have a brand loyalty more of a personal loyalty to comfort and trusting in what I carry.

Good luck with your decision and please let us know how it turns out.

In for the 22lr btw.

Smith, but get the 686+. Heavier frame than the GP100 helps absorb the heavy recoil of a .357, and if you go with the '+' model, you get 7 rounds instead of 6. :thumb:

S&W hands down, The quality alone by far exceeds the Ruger. Even though the Rugers are tanks the action and trigger pull on a Smith is what will bring your comfort zone home. They are both good pieces but I have always learned to rely on the S&W.
The S&W holds a better resale value as well.

I have been shooting 686 and 586 ever since they came out. Nothing more accurate that I have ever shot in a wheel gun. Rugers are great guns and they stand behind thier products but do not seem to have the resale value as Smith. You could consider a Colt Python but you would pay 3x the price that you would for a 686 and it is not anymore accurate. I think shooting a hundred rounds indoors or out would convince you. I shot my 586 last week and hit a bowling pin at 75 yards. Good Luck with your search! Jeff {Shepherdtrainer}

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom