S&W M38 or 49? And help with the funky grip?

hatchetjack

Default rank <400 posts Lifetime Supporter
Survivalist
15   0
Reaction score
Buddy may be selling this and doing a little research. Any ideas on exact model? No dash in the serial number. And what the heck is that grip? Aftermarket or hopefully we've stumbled on THE Unicorn of all SW revolvers worth thousands? hahahaha

What say ya'll?
S&W 1.5.jpg
S&W 2.5.jpg
S&W 3.5.jpg

Nice Smith. Because it has AIRWEIGHT stamped on the right side of the barrel, it is a M38. The cylinder and the barrel are steel and the frame is an alloy based material. Because the barrel and cylinder are made of steel and the frame is alloy, these different materials give the gun an almost two tone look. The right side grip is aftermarket. I can't remember the name of the grip, but I think it was called a "clip grip", or something similar.
If you open the cylinder, you should be able to see MOD 38 stamped on the yoke. The serial number is on the butt of the handle and should be visible without taking off the grips. There are quite a few on here that can look up the serial number and give you an approximate date of the M38. The barrel is pinned, so it is at least 1981 or older.
Unfortunately, it is not THE Unicorn of All S&W revolvers, but it is a solid, reliable Smith.

Thanks very much! It is a clean one. Was carried in a soft camera bag so no holster wear. Looks like maybe a $450 gun or you think less? $400? I think he has a guy ready to buy it but looking for fair price???

Were I in the market for one, and based on the pics and no box and mismatched grip (does he have the other right grip?) I would say $400 would be a little above average. $450 would be very generous. That is one of my favorite smiths.

Back
Top Bottom