• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Can anyone possibly help me with information about vintage 1970's models of Perazzi Shotguns?

Jeff Losee

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
5   0
Reaction score
I inherited 2 1970's model Perazzi Shotguns from my Dad. One is brand new in box. I know nothing about these and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction as far as what I have. Thank you!

Doubleguns forum is where I go for info on shotguns. There’s literally folks on that forum that wrote books on double guns.

Give them a call with model and serial numbers in hand. The earlier 70's guns are said to be the height of their quality, but keep in mind a 40 to 45 year old gun will not hold the same value today.

Why? Many engineering updates over the decades. Advances in stock design. Antiquated styling and the cost to involved to make the gun attractive to newer shooters.

Bottom line, those who can afford to buy guns of this quality are less likely to put good money into a gun that will require additional investments to upgrade.

Another issue is getting parts. When these top end guns are serviced the wear parts are replaced. These parts are not as easily sourced today.

For these reasons these guns do not bring near the money you expect when you look at the cost of a new modern Perazzi.

Do look at todays prices and think you will get those prices.
Case and point. I recently had a chance to buy a nice good quality early 70's Ithaca made by Perazzi shotgun. The serial number was what some consider the pest made quality guns produced by Perazzi. The auction price hit $900 and I was out. The gun sold for just under 1K. I was not willing to take it on as a more money project.

That said, there can some exceptions such as high end engraving or custom one off builds, but those would be few and far in-between for Perazzi's of that era.

This is copied and pasted for a short history of the early entry into the US market.

"Beginning in the early 70s, Ithaca imported 3 models of Perazzi O/Us: Comp 1, MX8, & Mirage. The Comp 1 was the plainer version, listing for around $1000. The MX8 had a high rib and 30 or 32" bbs and was marketed primarily as a trap gun; the Mirage had a flat rib and 27.5 or 29.5" bbls and was marketed primarily as a live bird gun. Both had case hardened receivers and listed for the same price, around $2000. A few MX8 combo trap sets were available by special order. The TM1 was the single bbl trap gun, listing for around $1000. One of the big selling features was the fact that all models had interchangable buttstocks, so if you didn't like the fit, you could swap stocks or buy a new one for about $100. All models had drop out triggers with leaf springs. About this same time, Hal DuPont could be found at many of the larger trap shoots, demonstrating & selling Krieghoffs. Then, as now, these 2 guns were at the top of the food chain among serious competitive shooters."

1713098080090.png

Back
Top Bottom