• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

SB 122 uniform deer season statewide

I think that if they would install more deer crossing signs near my hunting land it would get more deer to go there.

Maybe the DNR can mount a program to teach deer to read the signs.
All these in the last week.

This one next to my driveway.
Deer 3.jpg

This one across the road
Deer 1.jpg

This one on Eagles Landing Parkway not far from Henry Piedmont Hospital
Deer 2.jpg

From Senator Michael Williams (R- Cumming):

"[As] we all know, many of us in Georgia love to deer hunt.
However, because of inconsistencies between counties throughout the state, it can be difficult to regulate.
This week, I introduced Senate Bill 122 which aims to create a statewide season for deer hunting.
The bill outlines that the closing date of the open season for hunting deer with a firearm will fall on the third Monday of January each year, while bow hunting will be permitted through January 31st.
We have received a lot of feedback from small game hunters and as such are working to amend the bill to lengthen the small game hunting season as well."
I think they need to extend the season on the Chattahoochee national forest to correlate to the same closing date as the state season.

I'm all for simplifying the laws.
Even though, as an attorney, it benefits me and my profession to have confusing and inconsistent laws.
That way, people pay folks like me to help them choose a course of action..

.. or they pay folks like me to get 'em out of trouble afterward!

But seriously, figuring what season applies, and what weapon(s) are legal to hunt with, for any particular parcel of land in GA, should NOT be this complicated.

That's all well and good, but is that's what's best as it pertains to game management... The state has different populations and numbers of hunters than other parts. If all things were equal, then the next year or 2 everyone would be complaining about "not enough deer", etc. yada yada. Let the biologist make the decision. If the elected officials want to suggest goals, fine but let the professionals decide how to implement.

I also find that most of the people that complain about the way "it's different, for us than it is them" have never hunted out of state, especially out west, where you almost have to be a lawyer to figure out regions,points,draws,dates and allocations. Then again, that's what real game management is. Not just making it easier for people to kill more animals.

archery season is pretty
Long considering.
I usually hunt archery 98% of the season.
I do wish they'd open up
Fed lands for coyote hunts when deer season ends all through when deer season begins.

Back
Top Bottom