Scope Mounting

TattooedGunner

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
87   0
Reaction score
So when I've mounted scopes in the past I've always bought the rings, bases, and scopes and just thrown it all together. Never really had any problems, but I've haven't done it much either.

Watching videos on youtube there are levels, and lapping rods, and all kinds of other things used to mount a scope.

What does everybody here do, and am I going to notice the difference on a $400 rifle with a $200 scope used for deer hunting to ~200 yards?

You aren't going to notice much difference. A $200 scope is going to have more problems than any caused by lack of lapping the rings, or precisely making the crosshair level.

Make that a $1K scope shooting at 1K yards or more, and you'll definitely need it leveled, and you'll want really good rings (over $100).

Now if the $400 gun doesn't have the base holes in a line... things get complicated.

Mount the scope level to you eye sight and torque the rings and mounts or use the small allen or tek and do not over tight, you should use a wet tap like lock tight and it will not have to be tighten as hard if you just go dry. 30 lbs would be fine.

Mount the scope level to you eye sight and torque the rings and mounts or use the small allen or tek and do not over tight, you should use a wet tap like lock tight and it will not have to be tighten as hard if you just go dry. 30 lbs would be fine.
Make sure Inch lbs and not foot pounds. Had someone bring in scope rings with all the screws broken off because he was trying to torque them to 30 foot lbs.

Leopold has a nice video on their web sight. It is not as elaborate as it could be, but it is simple and well explained.

Back
Top Bottom