• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

SCORE !!!

AO3CoxUSN

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
60   0
Reaction score
In my opinion anyway.
At the Jim Miller Gun Show, (I have tried to slow down on gun shows, but can't help myself, at least the small ones, the Atlanta Expo is one I really like, but anyway back to my latest find). I have been working on a clone build of a Colt/Armalite M16 model 601. An early model of the M16. So far had an Armalite M15 lower with A2 stock, A2 pistol grip. Colt upper with A1 receiver with round forward assist, no shell deflector, 20" chrome bore pencil barrel, triangle forward grip, and A1 bird cage. I hate ordering things on-line or even from catalogs. Yeah, I'm backwards or not keep up with the times but just want to hand somebody cash and walk away with what I bought! So thats why (or at least, my excuse) I go to the gun shows.
Long story, thanks for staying with me so far.

So my great find was a "3 prong flash hidder", "A1 bakelite pistol grip","teardrop forward assist", Just what I was needing to finish up my clone build of the Model 601. And top it all with a factory "Colt 7.62x39 upper" (I had 2 Colt 20 rd 7.62x39 mags already and has nothing to do with my build). Sooo I just had to get an upper to go with the mags LOL.
The parts and pieces are probably easy to find "on-line" but like I said, hate ordering thru mail.

OK, Im done gloating, :becky:
20170114_214045.jpg
20170114_222222.jpg
20170114_222244.jpg
20170114_222821.jpg

The early versions had the triangle handguards. The 3 prong was on the M16 and if I'm not mistaken did not have a forward assist, that came with the M16A1 which also change the flash hider. Good luck with build.

Don't recall seeing one with the 3 prong and forward assist, thanks. In 78 when I went in we had the M16A1. Bought one a few years back and gave it to my brother as a Christmas present. FLASHBACK!

I miss the model type of 601 (with out foreward assist), I guess I'm trying for the 602-603 model.
And would LOVE to find one of these bayonet! The REAL ones I've have seen go for $400-$600. (to rich for me) but can find repro's for $200-$300.
602-Left_Right-sm4-747x316.jpg
601 TOP / 603 BOTTOM
603.jpg
images (1).jpg
images.jpg

Looks great! I love the retro stuff...

I wussed out and gave up on my retro build...I just bought a Colt AR15A4. I may try again one day to do an A1 build...this thread is good inspiration!

:thumb:
I like searching around trying to find parts and piecies to build or restore guns/firearms, and not ordering on-line can be hard but makes that more rewarding when you finally do find the right parts.(as you can tell I don't have a life, LOL) But keeps me busy. And out of the bottle. Ha Ha :wacko:

:thumb:
I like searching around trying to find parts and piecies to build or restore guns/firearms, and not ordering on-line can be hard but makes that more rewarding when you finally do find the right parts.(as you can tell I don't have a life, LOL) But keeps me busy. And out of the bottle. Ha Ha :wacko:
You're exactly right! It's a lot harder nowadays to find parts at the shows too...in the 80's, everybody sold parts. I guess it's easier for people to sell online now, so you don't see stuff at the shows as often now. I don't think I've ever seen an A1 grip at any I've been to lol!

I just lucked up, I was going to skip the Jim Miller Show but then what the He77, went anyway. And ended up finding the grip, 3 prong, and tear drop! never even thinking I would find the 3 prong.
Found a guy at one of the tables who (I'm bad at names) who ownd the AR bunker but sold out a couple of years back, great guy! He had some of my parts can't remember the other guy I got the other parts from, but I know what he looks like, he also had the A1 but stock I need, but spent all of my money on the parts and that 7.62x39 Colt upper. Damit. Oh well need to save up some more gun money!

Back
Top Bottom