• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Sear spring tuning (1911,2011)

H&E

Default rank <400 posts Supporter
Survivalist
78   0
Reaction score
I’m looking to adjust a sear spring in one of my 1911s. Anyone here adjust their own or have some recommendations for a crisp and light trigger.

I found this atlas YouTube video helpful.

I’d love to hear how you have yours set up.

When I started working on 1911's back in 2019 I watched a few videos and read a few articles, then realized that until I got into actually bending the spring a bit I really wouldn't have an idea of what was happening. A lot of trial and error, then I decided to pick up 2 more springs from Midwest Gun Works. I think they both were different versions from Wilson Combat. Then I was able to bend the center tine slightly different between the three I had to see and feel the difference. That's how it all fell into place as far as being able to see and compare how the bends affected the trigger. On one of my 1911 EDC's I left the Wilson spring factory bend almost in place and the trigger pull just under 5 pounds, on a different 1911 I bent the center spring a bit more away from the trigger and that one measures at just under 3 pounds. You can play with the bend and test it immediately, and if it's too light just bend it back slightly.

Reactions: H&E
When I started working on 1911's back in 2019 I watched a few videos and read a few articles, then realized that until I got into actually bending the spring a bit I really wouldn't have an idea of what was happening. A lot of trial and error, then I decided to pick up 2 more springs from Midwest Gun Works. I think they both were different versions from Wilson Combat. Then I was able to bend the center tine slightly different between the three I had to see and feel the difference. That's how it all fell into place as far as being able to see and compare how the bends affected the trigger. On one of my 1911 EDC's I left the Wilson spring factory bend almost in place and the trigger pull just under 5 pounds, on a different 1911 I bent the center spring a bit more away from the trigger and that one measures at just under 3 pounds. You can play with the bend and test it immediately, and if it's too light just bend it back slightly.
That’s great info, I really appreciate your time to explain what you had done. My new sear comes this week so I’m excited to get a nice tune on the trigger. I will definitely use your method above for trial and error until it’s just right. Thank again!

That's one of the things I absolutely love about the 1911 platform, you can take it all apart and really understand how the gun works, and then see areas where you can make improvements and adjustments.

Back
Top Bottom