Searching M&P or S&W

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtgldr

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
145   0
Reaction score
Every time I search M&P or S&W I come up with no results. I think it's because the ampersand (&) is seen differently than regular alpha characters. If I don't use at least 3 characters in a row I get an error that my search is too short.

Any suggestions?

And no, I don't want to use "Glock" instead of "M&P" LOL.

Every time I search M&P or S&W I come up with no results. I think it's because the ampersand (&) is seen differently than regular alpha characters. If I don't use at least 3 characters in a row I get an error that my search is too short.

Any suggestions?

And no, I don't want to use "Glock" instead of "M&P" LOL.

That Search is to vague. Be more specific.

That Search is to vague. Be more specific.

Are you saying my post is too vague or the search is too vague in general?
Same thing happens if you search 10/22, AK-47 or AR-15, with or without quotes. It will say no matches found.
It's not the search itself, it's the use of non alpha characters. Search 92f, p11 or pf9 and you'll get results.
I was hoping someone found a way around this specific issue without having to use an asterisk to get results. Using an Asterisk pulls too many partial matches.

Are you saying my post is too vague or the search is too vague in general?
Same thing happens if you search 10/22, AK-47 or AR-15, with or without quotes. It will say no matches found.
It's not the search itself, it's the use of non alpha characters. Search 92f, p11 or pf9 and you'll get results.
I was hoping someone found a way around this specific issue without having to use an asterisk to get results. Using an Asterisk pulls too many partial matches.

No I meant your search...lol. There are so many threads with the word "AK" And "AR" its to vague for the search engine.
I found this out trying to search "M&P" For the model 1522 a while back.

I think it is the use of non alpha numeric characters as well as the different ways people describe their gun. M&p, military and police, military & police, m and p. It really pisses me off that the gun's name has an "and" in it, and then the manufacturer's name does too. So the same search problem you have with the gun name you also have with the manufacturer.

No I meant your search...lol. There are so many threads with the word "AK" And "AR" its to vague for the search engine.
I found this out trying to search "M&P" For the model 1522 a while back.

Your search is not too vague, if you searched 15*22 you would get the 1522's but also anything with a 15 or 22 in it. Even adding quotes won't narrow the Wildcard * search.

Typical switches in search string: / = not, - = not, | = or, or = or etc.. but "&" doesn't have a function and since it's not an alpha character the search engine produces a "no match" result due to not knowing what to do with the "&". If we could make the search engine see the & as an alpha charater we could use it in searches.

I understand what you're saying but what I'm saying is that I'm not getting any results. If I search AK*47 I can get all the AK-47 listings but I also get anything with AK in it, same thing with 10*22 or AR*15. What I'm wondering is if there's a switch I can use in the search string to make the search engine see the ampersand as a character and not a symbol. There's not a "help" for the search string options that I've found but I figured someone had to have figured out switch by now.

Okuma, do you have a listing of acceptable search switch options for this forum?

I think it is the use of non alpha numeric characters as well as the different ways people describe their gun. M&p, military and police, military & police, m and p. It really pisses me off that the gun's name has an "and" in it, and then the manufacturer's name does too. So the same search problem you have with the gun name you also have with the manufacturer.

Different spellings can be overcome with the * Wildcard but the & is an issue, agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom