• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Sexy Saiga .308 Hunting Load

07JKX

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
106   0
Reaction score
So when I bought my Saiga .308 many months ago... it came with some supposedly "factory soft points." I took them out to the range and dialed them in at 100 yards. Well, needless to say it looked like a shotgun pattern. Very disappointed. Either way, at that point I just assumed that is what I would be getting from an ak platform 16" barrel .308. So I dialed them in to about 3" group at 50 yards and resolved myself to hunt at distance no further than that. Well bullets are still bullets and it gave me two nice bucks on opening day.

Recently, upon closer inspection of these "factory soft points", I have come to the conclusion that these are reloads... and very sloppy ones at that. The cases were all the same, but the COL, case length and Bullet seating depth vary from round to round. Pulling a bullet I find the powder also varies about .02 grain from round to round but fortunately still well in the safe zone... I now have a renewed hope for my Saiga!

Anyways, this last weekend I decided to try out some loads with my Hornady 150 Grain Interlock Soft Points. I tried 43.0, 43.1 and 43.2 grains of varget with CCI LRP and RP marked brass. Bullets seated for a COL of 2.77 (+/- 0.002)

All brass was full length sized and trimmed to 2.007, pockets cleaned and tumbled.

43.0 yielded approximately 2.25" group, 43.1 brought me in to 1.5" group and below... the sweet spot of 43.2 gave me 0.638" (All at 100 yards off a bipod and bench)

All shots were cold bore (ambient temp at approximately 52-54*F) and I tried my best to shoot in the lulls b/c of the ridiculous wind.

Needless to say, I cant wait to try these out in my buddies field stand this weekend! Come on out does!
[Broken External Image]:

My Saiga:
[Broken External Image]:

Max distance shown here is about 225 yards on the property (I wont be taking these shots)
[Broken External Image]:

Last edited:
Cool man! I have a very similar loading for mine with IMR 4895 with a 150 Sierra Gameking.

We use IMR 4895 with a 150g Nosler ballistic tip. It shoots 1MOA with cold bore. We were pleasantly surprised to say the least!!
After about 10-15 rounds back to back it opens up to about 3MOA...slightly depressing, but hey...it's the first couple shots that count, right?

We use IMR 4895 with a 150g Nosler ballistic tip. It shoots 1MOA with cold bore. We were pleasantly surprised to say the least!!
After about 10-15 rounds back to back it opens up to about 3MOA...slightly depressing, but hey...it's the first couple shots that count, right?

This might end up as somebodys sig but, if you get to shoot 10-15 rounds at a deer that is one dumbass deer!

Sounds like you started with sloppy factory ammo to me. Typically there is much more variance in mass produced product than most folks realize. A load tuned for a specific rifle can make a huge difference in performance but I will be the first here to say 1 sub minute 3 shot test group does not a sub minute rifle make. I have no doubt that tuning a load for your rifle has yielded a more suitable hunting round. Make sure you have a really good crimp on handloads for your semi because the recoil can easily make unwanted adjustments to your ammo.
If you do some more testing and find you can repeatedly hold 2 minutes of angle without flyers then a 225 yard long shot is definitely in range for a deer.
Good luck

Back
Top Bottom