• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Sheepskin Chamois

fast306stang

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
376   0
Reaction score
I bought an honest to God real chamois. Real sheepskin. Supposed to be the best thing to dry your car with.
Well it has tanning chemicals and oil in it, so you're supposed to wash it with soap and water before you use it.
I couldn't ever get the oil that's in it to stop foaming everytime I tried to rinse it out. So I'm trying to wring this damn thing out and it's slicker than owl ****. I finally gave up. It smells like an animal, worse than a wet dog...maybe a dead wet dog? ****ing DIS-GUS-TING. And now I can't get the smell off my hands. I'm not sure I can eat dinner. It's nauseating.
Ok, so what's the consensus? I gotta drop the coin and get one of those roller squeegees with the crank handle to use this thing?

I'll try the tomato juice if I can find some.

After reading online, (which I probably should have done first lol) I see other people recommending a blower. Or a few different drying towels. I have a synthetic chamois and it does just okay. I was hoping this was going to be better. I might have to try a different option. The stupid wringers are over $100!

Wife cleans raw sheep's wool a lot. She suggested very hot water with a lot of blue Dawn (dish soap), soak and rinse in very hot water. That should clean out the residual lanolin. Then use vinegar and hot water to get rid of the stink.

Sent from my SM-P905V using Tapatalk

Wife cleans raw sheep's wool a lot. She suggested very hot water with a lot of blue Dawn (dish soap), soak and rinse in very hot water. That should clean out the residual lanolin. Then use vinegar and hot water to get rid of the stink.

Sent from my SM-P905V using Tapatalk

I'm going to try this. Tell your wife thank you for me!

Back
Top Bottom