• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Shot the Swedish M96 for the first time...was very impressed.

daytonlawvol

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
57   1
Reaction score
Picked up a Swedish M96 about a month ago and shot it yesterday for the first time. I was very impressed. The Swedish 6.5 round is awesome...dont know why it didnt stay in favor with bolt action guns as time went along. Very light kick and was very easy to shoot. I would have to put this up as my most accurate military surplus bolt action.

Yup, the m96 is known for its accuracy and ease to shoot. Supposed to be the best mauser, considered by many.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

The 6.5 x 55 mm is well-respected in the rest of the world. They use it for moose and caribou hunting.
In America, we choose our hunting rifle calibers based on articles in Guns & Ammo and similar magazines, which are always promoting the latest and fastest magnum caliber with 3000 f.p.s. velocity.
I think medium power rifle calibers of the 6.5mm and 7mm (.243 - .270) are excellent choices for hunting or long range target shooting (out to several hundred yards).
If you had a .243 Win for use out to maybe 400 yards with bullets up to 105 grains, and a 6.5 x 55 (or the 6.5 Creedmoor, or the 260 Remington) to use with bullets in the 120-150 weight range, you'd use THAT for bigger game or target shooting out to 900 yards. You'd be ready to hunt pretty much anything in the Western hemisphere (although it wouldn't be my top choice for brown bear).

Back
Top Bottom