• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Posted in the firearms discussion but figured this might be a more specific group to poke at. What do I have ???

rkfogg1

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
4   0
Reaction score
Historic/Antique firearms questions? received upon a relatives passing unfortunately, but would love more info/details on what exactly I have if anybody can help?

Good evening, I am looking for more info on these 4 firearms. Historic significance if any, overall value/condition related to others recently on market or known of. Tips/tricks for long term furniture (wood) and overall long term maintenance. Some back story- grandpa was a lifelong outdoorsman and hunter. He served in the Vietnam war, being the captain of a C-130 Flying Fortress. “Not the gunship, however the utility/medivac focused aircraft” too many stories to tell…. But throughout his service, picked up many firearms overseas which were brought back to the US. For a fact, I know this is the case with the rifle, and I believe 2 of the shotguns (possibly). I am almost certain the hammer-fire double barrel was handed down from his father and is native to the US, but I could be wrong. would love for some educated firearm enthusiast to be able to help give some clarity on what I’ve got my hands on.

What I can see written on the firearm
(1) “hammer fired double barrel .12” American gun co. New York, genuine armory steel, choke bored
(2) “next double barrel haha” J.P. Sauer & Sohn, made in W. Germany, 12/70/2 and 3/4, original sauer
(3) over/under 12, model 101 Winchester, made in Japan, Lin kodensha Co.Ltd
(4) made in Austria, original mannlicher schœnauer, Steyr-Daimler….(rest is covered by scope mount) mod. MC, .243 with Pecar Berlin Germany 4-10 variable scope.

With warm regards,
Ryan

Attachments

• IMG_0575.jpeg
    IMG_0575.jpeg
    279.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0573.jpeg
    IMG_0573.jpeg
    131 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0572.jpeg
    IMG_0572.jpeg
    139.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0570.jpeg
    IMG_0570.jpeg
    194.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0566.jpeg
    IMG_0566.jpeg
    147 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0564.jpeg
    IMG_0564.jpeg
    137.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0563.jpeg
    IMG_0563.jpeg
    174.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0558.jpeg
    IMG_0558.jpeg
    269.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0557.jpeg
    IMG_0557.jpeg
    233.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0554.jpeg
    IMG_0554.jpeg
    205.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0551.jpeg
    IMG_0551.jpeg
    257.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0548.jpeg
    IMG_0548.jpeg
    170.8 KB · Views: 32
The exposed-hammer side-by-side shotgun:

Actually manufactured by Crescent probably in the early 1900s up to the 1920's.

If it's in good condition the only thing to think about when firing it would be how long is the chamber: is it 2 1/2 inches,
2 5/8 inches
2 9/16 inches
or the modern standard 2 3/4 inches?

Shooting crimped-end shotgun shells in a too-short chamber can cause a spike in chamber pressures when the wad of birdshot tries to come out and find that a ring of plastic is constricting the bore artificially. You could just cut the crimp off of small birdshot loads and use white school glue to glue in a little round disk of cardboard to hold the payload in place.

PS: a shotgun like this 120 year old Crescent was not made for modern high-pressure 12 gauge loads such as slugs, or buckshot or waterfowl or turkey loads. Stick with skeet / trap, dove, quail, pheasant, upland game type shells.

American Gun Company of New York was a trade name used on shotguns manufactured by Crescent Fire Arms Company of Norwich, CT. The 1912 date of manufacture is probably as close to correct as is possible since no records of production exist.

Although the gun has fluid steel barrels, the chambers may be shorter than today's 2 3/4" length shells. If using is contemplated, an evaluation by a competent gunsmith to determine chamber length is recommended. Modern 2 ¾” shells fired in a short chamber produces dangerously high pressures and can damage the gun and injure the shooter or bystanders. If deemed safe to use, only light field or target loads can be recommended.

Looks like a nice example, I have one as well.

The exposed-hammer side-by-side shotgun:

Actually manufactured by Crescent probably in the early 1900s up to the 1920's.

If it's in good condition the only thing to think about when firing it would be how long is the chamber: is it 2 1/2 inches,
2 5/8 inches
2 9/16 inches
or the modern standard 2 3/4 inches?

Shooting crimped-end shotgun shells in a too-short chamber can cause a spike in chamber pressures when the wad of birdshot tries to come out and find that a ring of plastic is constricting the bore artificially. You could just cut the crimp off of small birdshot loads and use white school glue to glue in a little round disk of cardboard to hold the payload in place.

PS: a shotgun like this 120 year old Crescent was not made for modern high-pressure 12 gauge loads such as slugs, or buckshot or waterfowl or turkey loads. Stick with skeet / trap, dove, quail, pheasant, upland game type shells.

As an owner of an old ass shotgun that has been passed down, what is the lightest shotgun load in any given caliber?

For easy to get ammo: some low brass small bird shot load made for trap or skeet or maybe dove & quail.

Shot size between #9 and 7.5,
and if the box tells you the velocity of the pellets they should be around 1000 or 1100 feet per second, not 1200+.

Try to find "Low recoil" or "low noise" versions --they make those in 12 gauge and maybe 20 ga. too.

Avoid anything that says
heavy load or
high speed
or "high velocity."

But, you really should have your shotgun checked out by a Gunsmith and have the chambers measured.

If the gun is safe to shoot in every way except having short chambers, then you may have to order your ammo from a specialty place online ...
...or take a razor knife and cut the crimp off of your modern plastic factory shells.

Back
Top Bottom