• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Sierra game king question

if you dont want your animals to run...stop shooting them behind the shoulder...and start shooting them in the top of the shoulder

This the way. I actually sacrifice some meat and shoot them at the front shoulder joint.

They can’t run without working front legs.

The caliber and bullet largely don’t matter. If you destroy the heart and lungs then the deer will die but will probably run some distance. Break both front shoulders and they’ll fall every time whether it’s a .243 or 300 Win Mag.

This the way. I actually sacrifice some meat and shoot them at the front shoulder joint.

They can’t run without working front legs.

The caliber and bullet largely don’t matter. If you destroy the heart and lungs then the deer will die but will probably run some distance. Break both front shoulders and they’ll fall every time whether it’s a .243 or 300 Win Mag.

Not always. I have seen deer run with 2 broken shoulders. There is a lot they can do when the adrenaline is pumping. Since I have started double lunging them, I haven't lost a deer and they never go more than 50 yards and I save all the shoulder meat.

Rosewood

165 grain GameKings have been my go-to bullet since 2005.

I load them in .308 and .30-06, both with IMR4895.

Sometimes they run, sometimes they don’t. They always die with just one shot.

I load that bullet for my wife’s dad and my wife’s brother, and they have the same results. That goes for whitetail and hogs.

Crazy accurate also.

I shot the 117 gr GK out of my 257 bob for years and killed a lot of deer with it. Every now and then the GK would shed it's core which I usually found inside the animal. I have read where others have experienced the same with the GK. I switched to the Sierra Pro Hunter which is a little more heavily constructed. I haven't shot near as many animals with it but so far so good.

I won't shoot a deer with gameking bullets. They are as accurate as the match king in my handloads.......actually out shoot federal gold medal match........(no I'm not lying but whatever you think is fine with me) but I've tired of shooting deer and watching them run away or get knocked off their feet and get up and leave. I don't think they expand.

I won't shoot a deer with gameking bullets. They are as accurate as the match king in my handloads.......actually out shoot federal gold medal match........(no I'm not lying but whatever you think is fine with me) but I've tired of shooting deer and watching them run away or get knocked off their feet and get up and leave. I don't think they expand.
I’ve had mixed results with expansion myself.

Back
Top Bottom