• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Sierra game king question

This is my observation also. A deer can run along ways on adrenaline without a heart. Only way to ensure a DRT is either a spine or brain shot and your odds are not as good on the smaller target then.

Rosewood
^^This^^
Heart-shot a 110lb doe with a .270Win 140gr silvertip. She made it about 80 yards leaving a blood trail that I could almost follow with me eyes closed. Exit hole seemed nearly big enough to put a Coke can in. No discernible heart could be found when I field dressed her. Adrenaline is amazing!

A couple of weeks earlier I heart-shot a 211lb nine-pointer standing in the same spot. Legs immediately collasped under him and he was DRT. Go figure.

I’m having similar results. .308
1- Doe, 200 yards. Behind the shoulder. Only ran 30-40yds. No sign of entry, very small exit
2- Doe, 100 yards, slight quartering away. Behind the shoulder, exited through opposite should. Dropped in her tracks. Absolutely no sign of entrance or exit. Literally zero sign. She started leaking out the exit when I loaded her up.
3- Buck, 200 yds. Broadside. Hit him a little high behind the shoulder. He flinched, then jumped the fence. No sign of blood. Never found him.
I’m not blaming these bullets fo shot placement. But I have noticed over the past couple of years that they don’t make great wound channels.
Very accurate though. The gun loves them.
I stopped using sierra game kings for hunting. I don't think they expand. They are as a accurate at matchking bullets which is why I wanted to hunt with them.........but I tired of shooting deer to watch them jump up and run off, no blood trail or very little blood. I'm not wasting a life with those bullets anymore. I had a friend tell me the same thing about his experience with Gamekings.

I do not care what bullet you shoot, if you can shoot them 2 inches above the front shoulder they will not make a step, shot the last 14 deer there and did not have to trail anthing

Back
Top Bottom